• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Insurance Number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonAgent View Post
    This would be Reed Elsevier / LexisNexis job right?

Honestly, its just because the weird Job portal they use needs a national insurance number to check that the candidate is unique. A national insurance number is one of the few unique identifications that everyone working in the UK has.

Very very irritating on our side because everyone thinks its a scam. So we just fake them half the time and hope we dont get found out.
    Good theory. NI Numbers are not necessarily unique, although new ones from the last 4-5 years probably are.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      TN010170M is doable to fool most thick people Temp Number DOB M for male, F for Female and NLUK..
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Good theory. NI Numbers are not necessarily unique, although new ones from the last 4-5 years probably are.
        When I worked with NI numbers a few years ago 20% of them were duplicate. No idea what the status is now.

Comment

National Insurance Number needed for contracts?

Hi all,
          I'm talking with an agent and he is saying that most of big firms would ask for applicants' NiNo. I'll be coming to UK on 1st of October, I'll be incorporating a limited company. Gov.uk says I can apply for National Insurance number only when I am in UK. And it would take min 10days up to 6-7 months to get final NiNo.
          So, that would mean, for the first month, I may not start working.
          Is that correct? Do I need to have NiNo to get a contract even through limited company?
          One last note, a friend told me, without a NiNo you can't get paid, your company can, because it will have a separate NiNo which will be acquired by your accountant already.

Any help to sort his out would be really appreciated..

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by aposto View Post
            I'm talking with an agent and he is saying that most of big firms would ask for applicants' NiNo. I'll be coming to UK on 1st of October, I'll be incorporating a limited company. Gov.uk says I can apply for National Insurance number only when I am in UK. And it would take min 10days up to 6-7 months to get final NiNo.
            Is that correct? Do I need to have NiNo to get a contract even through limited company?
            One last note, a friend told me, without a NiNo you can't get paid, your company can, because it will have a separate NiNo which will be acquired by your accountant already.
            You will need a national insurance number to work, but you don't need a national insurance number to start work. Explain to anyone who asks that you haven't got one yet, but you have a right to work in the UK and that it is pending.

Your friend is wrong. A company doesn't have a National Insurance number.

Comment

Agents need it for some legal reporting reasons. Quick Google will find you the details
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Some clients use it when submitted for a role to ensure that you are not submitted twice by two different agents
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Agents need it for some legal reporting reasons. Quick Google will find you the details
                  Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Some clients use it when submitted for a role to ensure that you are not submitted twice by two different agents
                  Both of these.

It's also a quick indicator of a right to work to save you jumping through other hoops. You'll definitely need one if you're umbrella.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by aposto View Post
                    Hi all,

Any help to sort his out would be really appreciated..

Thanks,
                    Are you an EU citizen?

Comment

If you have the right to work for whatever reason, stamped up in your passport, or the correct passport, (can be as little as a student visa who can work 20 hours per week) then you can rock up and get an NI number issued the same day.

NI numbers are not however unique, although many people think they are, they were "supposed" to be but all that went out the window when various messed up decisions were taken at various points. Far too late to fix anytime soon, several generations would need to die off before they have any chance of cleaning up the duplicate NI numbers.

Comment

Working...
                      X