• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance Question,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fox23 View Post
    Thanks for the help, this is encouraging.
    I have the offer of the job, and they are willing to sponsor me through the process.

I looked for other threads but I was searching on the general section of the forum, but I've the sticky thread now thanks.

Just a quick final question.
    Will the new company I'm working for see the results of the check, ie. when I tell the SC people about the previous dismissal will my new employer be informed what happens? Or is it a separate procedure and they will just hear back that I passed the SC?

Thanks again.
    If you fail the SC clearance you won't need to worry about your employer. You won't have one.

I watched a guy who'd been in the job, who'd passed BC and applied for SC, get marched off site when the SC check failed.

Just fill in the form honestly - IIRC you'll be asked for the last five years of employment/education history. They may find out that you had a job at the hotel (if you were paying tax/ni etc it might pop-up) There's nothing in the form about WHY you left an employer.

They will write to any employer you put down for a reference, but as references these days consist of little more than "<name/> worked here between <start_date> & <end_date> the reason for leaving is unlikely to come up.

Comment

Absolutely no reason to mention the alcohol incident.

When I did some work for a stock settlement firm 6 years ago, I queried my manager about a situation where brass knuckles were found in my luggage during check-in at Frankfurt airport. The police confiscated them, filled out a report, and told me I would just receive some paperwork in the mail closing off the "administrative only" process ( the airport was considered international territory and I had not committed a crime in Germany ).

My manager's response about the incident was "don't be crazy, you don't want to tell them that!".

I didn't. My SC clearance was approved.

Comment

Originally posted by herman_g View Post
        Absolutely no reason to mention the alcohol incident.

When I did some work for a stock settlement firm 6 years ago, I queried my manager about a situation where brass knuckles were found in my luggage during check-in at Frankfurt airport. The police confiscated them, filled out a report, and told me I would just receive some paperwork in the mail closing off the "administrative only" process ( the airport was considered international territory and I had not committed a crime in Germany ).

My manager's response about the incident was "don't be crazy, you don't want to tell them that!".

I didn't. My SC clearance was approved.
        Great idea. Telling lies to gain security clearance.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Great idea. Telling lies to gain security clearance.
          He won't be telling lies. There is nothing on the form where this needs to be 'confessed'.

The SC process is administrative rather than an in-depth delve into a persons past life.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
            He won't be telling lies. There is nothing on the form where this needs to be 'confessed'.

The SC process is administrative rather than an in-depth delve into a persons past life.
            I know quite a lot about the process thanks, probably more than most. That's not the point I was making though. Anyone thinking that bypassing the process, if only by ommision, on the basis you can probably get away with it is not someone I would think worthy of being trusted to hold clearance to SC level. Even if you take a more relaxed view than me (always possible!), it's perhaps not a good idea to suggest it's how you should behave.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X