• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates - Dealing with agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates - Dealing with agencies

Can anyone give me advice on how to handle agents when they want to put you forward for a role and ask for you rare? Is it best to respond to them by saying you'll until you've done the interview? I've been screwed over before by accepting a lower rate when I know the agent pocketed the rest.

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    Can anyone give me advice on how to handle agents when they want to put you forward for a role and ask for you rare? Is it best to respond to them by saying you'll until you've done the interview? I've been screwed over before by accepting a lower rate when I know the agent pocketed the rest.
    You didn't get screwed over. You had the opportunity to negotiate, agreed on a price that must have been acceptable to you else you wouldn't have signed and carried the gig. The agent didn't have you hand behind your back and knife at your throat to sign the contract.

Tell him what you think are worth, if he doesn't agree tell him to stuff his gig and go find one that is paying what you think you are worth.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I just tell the agents that it all depends on what they expect of me. After giving them a load of 'tulip' (Feels great to use the word! ) about what I can do professionally, I ask them what the client is willing to pay. If I find it appropriate, I tell them that it sounds about right but I never tell them my rate ( unless I feel that the agent's intentions are genuine ). I also tell them that I charge more if the role involves new/trending technologies in my skillset and things like architecture design etc... My $0.02......

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You didn't get screwed over. You had the opportunity to negotiate, agreed on a price that must have been acceptable to you else you wouldn't have signed and carried the gig. The agent didn't have you hand behind your back and knife at your throat to sign the contract.

Tell him what you think are worth, if he doesn't agree tell him to stuff his gig and go find one that is paying what you think you are worth.
        I know what you mean but the agent told me that i had the gig but that the client decided to offer me x amount per day less. I've read about this tactic and it's used by most agencies, so yes, I was screwed over. The agent lied.

Comment

I know what you mean but the agent told me that i had the gig but that the client decided to offer me x amount per day less. I've read about this tactic and it's used by most agencies, so yes, I was screwed over. The agent lied.
          But you have the choice to accept or not. If you arten't happy then don't take it or counter offer and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            But you have the choice to accept or not. If you arten't happy then don't take it or counter offer and see what they say.
            I agree with this. You may feel you've been screwed over but the truth is probably that, through a combination of naivety and a lack of confidence, you've rolled over when the agent has tried it on. If the client wants you then stick to your guns. The agent will generally back down but also be prepared to walk away.
            I'd give my right dick to be normal.....

Comment

So what. If you had negotiated harder you would have called his bluff. You have to drop the 'I am a vicitm' view. You had a fair shot and dealing with it and you didn't. If you go in thinking that you are not going to negotiate properly. Deal with it as a business negotiation plain and simple. You want X, he wants Y and start negotiating. Thing is if the agent gets even the slightest sniff you are bluffing he will have you over a barrel. And going in with the attitude that 'you got screwed over' will be easy to spot and he will just treat you like a bedwetter, not a serious proposal.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do not forget that agents are not your friends. They are trying to make money off this deal and they will make as much as they can.

I am not sure that being screwed over is the right phrase to be honest.

We play our game and they play theirs. If you want more money then ask for it, the agent will say no the first few times and will claim they are already taking the lowest percentage they can (and, of course, policy rules dictate they cannot take lower), he will then say he will have to take it to the client and the client will be unhappy and just so you know someone else has applied on a lower rate than the one you offered BEFORE you pushed your rates up etc etc etc.

Eventually he will give you the money or you walk away. How good are you at playing chicken? If you are bluffing then the agent will probably sense it - they do this for a living and are often quite switched on when it comes to this sort of thing.

I suggest not bluffing. Take the rate or demand more if you are actually prepared to walk away.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Give them a price you are happy to accept on the information given, if at a later date (after interview) reality differs from the picture the agent painted don't accept the contract
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Sorry, but what's a 'rare'? And did you check your gammar!?

Sorry, but this must be a sockie.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X