• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates in Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates in Switzerland

Tbf in coop or migros most stuff is UK or bit higher prices, can still get a tin of Feldschossen for a quid.

But fresh meat!! Here in UK we where paying ten quid for 1.5kg of chicken breast, in supermarket in ZH it was 10 quid for 300g...

Comment

Re: Rates in Switzerland

Originally posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
      I've done a search, honest.

Possibility of a gig in Zug, Switzerland, only a 3 monther though. Can any of our swiss-based chums advise on what is a decent rate? Currently the "offer" is 850CHF per day. Can I live like a king or will I be watching the pennies? Accommodation looks a bit on the steep side and so do flights. From englishforum.ch it looks like everything else is equally expensive (beer, meat etc). The rate is all-inclusive.

I'm currently at clientco with a 1 week notice period until May but don't want to burn any bridges unless it's worth it.

Any advice?
      The canton tax is cheaper in Zug even if the cost of accommodation might be higher. Check out accommodation in Luzern which is not too far on the train. Also Baden in Argau. Baden has lower canton tax than Zurich. I hear it's also easier to get a room or flat there.

850 CHF should be about the bottom rate you would go for in the Zurich region. Some clients pay more. It depends on your skills, experience and area.

I heard of a contractor who got a gig paying 690 CHF per day. Total rip off.

Watch out for tax equalisation with the UK if you are not going to be resident in Switzerland. Check out the other posts on this forum about that one.

Food is very expensive, fish, vegetables, cereal. 5 pounds for a loaf of bread. 4 pounds for a coffee.

Comment

UK residents

[QUOTE=sunflower;1689419Watch out for tax equalisation with the UK if you are not going to be resident in Switzerland. Check out the other posts on this forum about that one.

[/QUOTE]

The high cost of living is offset by low taxation and low social security costs. UK equalisation tax will wipe out the tax advantage. CHF 850 is an excellent rate for East Europeans who have flat tax rates

Comment

I worked in Geneva for a bit. My rate was 900 a day. I lost about 35% to tax and the like and had the rest to pay for expenses such as living and flights.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback folks,much appreciated. Blighty for me for a wee bit longer I think...
            I'd give my right dick to be normal.....

Comment

Guess I was late to the party on this, everything here is pretty expensive as a contractor you have to use a payroll company so you lose 1/3 in social security, tax and other bits. You have to pay for private healthcare whilst you are here too, also if you don't do a full UK tax year here you're liable for dual taxation and all HMRC will consider is the tax you pay here which is pretty low but they don't give a hoot about all the other costs and the higher cost of living.

Like I said a bit late but hopefully the info will benefit someone.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Ah I see BoredBloke has already replied to this thread, so I've deleted my reply.

Comment

Working...
                X