• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV writing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV writing

Anyone ever used these guys w ww.cvandinterviewadvisors.co.uk
    I watched a webinar once by PCG. I'm thinking of giving these guys a try and restructuring my cv and turning it into a business case instead of the usual chronological cv.

I've never had problems finding work before, but I guess I'm thinking of ways to safe guard my future.

As someone who has recruited other staff, a mixture of permie and contractors, CVs from these companies look the same and use the same words.

You are better of doing a websearch for CV examples and using the best as a template. Then customising it with your information.

In terms of safe guarding your future you have to keep learning.

Don't take on contracts where you don't have the opportunity to learn something especially business and soft skills. While agencies want a 100% fit for the job spec most clients realise they can't get this.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You will find more and better information if you do a search for CV on here IMO.. We have had some pretty good discussion on what to do and just as importantly what not to do. Have a read of the thread by the guy with a 10 page CV. Amusing stuff.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You will find more and better information if you do a search for CV on here IMO.. We have had some pretty good discussion on what to do and just as importantly what not to do. Have a read of the thread by the guy with a 10 page CV. Amusing stuff.
        I still cant get my head around that (10 page cv)!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The other thing to realise about CV's is the simple fact that they no longer do the same job that they used to do for you.
          From 1994 to 2004 my CV remained pretty much the same with additional jobs added. However over the last few years I have had to completely re-write my cv at least 3 times just so that it will get past the CV sifting stage. I no longer view a CV as any baring on the truth or a reflection of my ability. Its just a tool of buzz words that gets you to talk to an end client.

Comment

10 page CV? Ridiculous! I think I know that guy!

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
              10 page CV? Ridiculous! I think I know that guy!
              How long is it now? 12?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How long is it now? 12?
                Na managed to shorten it by half. I am happy with it now, getting good feedback.

Comment

ive seen a 34 page CV before. I also saw a CV where the first page was where a contractor had scored himself out of 100 on a number of subjects including "appreciation of beauty".

Keep it 3 pages or below and mention your key skills, keep an ear to the ground for the buzz words that places like and include those (if you have done them!)

Comment

Originally posted by AnonAgent View Post
                    Keep it [to] 3 pages [of] buzz words that places like.
                    Never failed for me.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X