• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right to cancel an extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
    Turns out that new ClientCo want me and are willing to wait my 30 days notice regardless. I'm going to speak to my existing client tomorrow and try to arrange a reduced notice period, which I'm pretty sure they'll be accepting of.
    That's good news. Problem is a non issue then.

Speak to the client and have an outline of your handover plan all ready to hit them with to soften them up.

Make sure you have the new contract offer in writing though - these things have a tendency to disappear at the last moment sometimes.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      That's good news. Problem is a non issue then.

Speak to the client and have an outline of your handover plan all ready to hit them with to soften them up.

Make sure you have the new contract offer in writing though - these things have a tendency to disappear at the last moment sometimes.
      To be honest, I think I'm just gonna hand my notice in regardless - I've completely had it with them. I've already written a shed load of documentation, and there's no one to hand over to (I refer back to my "complete lack of investment" statement further up the thread), and the system I've put together is already "live". It's a pretty clean break point if I'm honest... yeah, they'll be miffed I'm going, but I'm pretty certain they'll understand. They'll understand even more when the rest of the contractors follow suit (or don't renew).

Absolute worst case scenario, they march me off site, and the new contract doesn't manifest itself... I've planned for a few weeks off over xmas anyway, so unless I really struggle to find another role, I'm no worse off than I was previously.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Did I just read this right?
        Also, NLUK, you will find that I will, generally, only get pissed off with client when they affect me personally, whether its contract issues, personal stuff etc.

I rarely get pissed off because of their business/work issues. If they want to stuff things up themselves I really dont care.

Big difference in getting stressed about things that affect you and your income and things that only affect the client.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
          To be honest, I think I'm just gonna hand my notice in regardless - I've completely had it with them. I've already written a shed load of documentation, and there's no one to hand over to (I refer back to my "complete lack of investment" statement further up the thread), and the system I've put together is already "live". It's a pretty clean break point if I'm honest... yeah, they'll be miffed I'm going, but I'm pretty certain they'll understand. They'll understand even more when the rest of the contractors follow suit (or don't renew).

Absolute worst case scenario, they march me off site, and the new contract doesn't manifest itself... I've planned for a few weeks off over xmas anyway, so unless I really struggle to find another role, I'm no worse off than I was previously.
          Still dont understand why you have an issue with the way client runs their business? You've done the work but theres no-one to handover to. So what? Client does things arse backwards and won't listen. So what?

Some clients are so bad it defies belief but I'll leave them to worry about it when things go wrong because I certainly won't....

And just to keep NLUK happy - yes I will stress when they fanny me around and possibly piss around with my income.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

For those interested in the resolution of this particular scenario: I spoke to the client - they were fine with my renewal retraction. I've agreed to do the first week in Jan as a courtesy handover too, which I think sweetened the deal.

Spoke to my current agent too, and they've cancelled the contract without any issues or come back. Looks like the answer to my original question was "Yes"

Cheers everyone

Comment

Working...
            X