• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Right to cancel an extension"

Collapse

• Spikeh
    replied
    For those interested in the resolution of this particular scenario: I spoke to the client - they were fine with my renewal retraction. I've agreed to do the first week in Jan as a courtesy handover too, which I think sweetened the deal.

Spoke to my current agent too, and they've cancelled the contract without any issues or come back. Looks like the answer to my original question was "Yes"

Cheers everyone

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
    To be honest, I think I'm just gonna hand my notice in regardless - I've completely had it with them. I've already written a shed load of documentation, and there's no one to hand over to (I refer back to my "complete lack of investment" statement further up the thread), and the system I've put together is already "live". It's a pretty clean break point if I'm honest... yeah, they'll be miffed I'm going, but I'm pretty certain they'll understand. They'll understand even more when the rest of the contractors follow suit (or don't renew).

Absolute worst case scenario, they march me off site, and the new contract doesn't manifest itself... I've planned for a few weeks off over xmas anyway, so unless I really struggle to find another role, I'm no worse off than I was previously.
    Still dont understand why you have an issue with the way client runs their business? You've done the work but theres no-one to handover to. So what? Client does things arse backwards and won't listen. So what?

Some clients are so bad it defies belief but I'll leave them to worry about it when things go wrong because I certainly won't....

And just to keep NLUK happy - yes I will stress when they fanny me around and possibly piss around with my income.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Did I just read this right?
    Also, NLUK, you will find that I will, generally, only get pissed off with client when they affect me personally, whether its contract issues, personal stuff etc.

I rarely get pissed off because of their business/work issues. If they want to stuff things up themselves I really dont care.

Big difference in getting stressed about things that affect you and your income and things that only affect the client.

Leave a comment:

• Spikeh
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    That's good news. Problem is a non issue then.

Speak to the client and have an outline of your handover plan all ready to hit them with to soften them up.

Make sure you have the new contract offer in writing though - these things have a tendency to disappear at the last moment sometimes.
    To be honest, I think I'm just gonna hand my notice in regardless - I've completely had it with them. I've already written a shed load of documentation, and there's no one to hand over to (I refer back to my "complete lack of investment" statement further up the thread), and the system I've put together is already "live". It's a pretty clean break point if I'm honest... yeah, they'll be miffed I'm going, but I'm pretty certain they'll understand. They'll understand even more when the rest of the contractors follow suit (or don't renew).

Absolute worst case scenario, they march me off site, and the new contract doesn't manifest itself... I've planned for a few weeks off over xmas anyway, so unless I really struggle to find another role, I'm no worse off than I was previously.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Turns out that new ClientCo want me and are willing to wait my 30 days notice regardless. I'm going to speak to my existing client tomorrow and try to arrange a reduced notice period, which I'm pretty sure they'll be accepting of.
    That's good news. Problem is a non issue then.

Speak to the client and have an outline of your handover plan all ready to hit them with to soften them up.

Make sure you have the new contract offer in writing though - these things have a tendency to disappear at the last moment sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Spikeh
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Then you are sorted, and there was no need to post an entire thread on what you clearly know already otherwise you end up like pyschocandy.
    Well, there was... because I still don't know for certain if I can "cancel" a renewal. A renewal is a new piece of work which hasn't commenced yet - the schedule specifically states that the client can cancel their requirement for me up to and including the start date, but says nothing about me - which means I was looking to see if anyone had had similar experiences. I totally appreciate that it's a bit of a dodgy moral situation (leaving the client in the dump), but that's for me to deal with - and tbh, not something most clients would think twice about doing if it was the other way around.

Turns out that new ClientCo want me and are willing to wait my 30 days notice regardless. I'm going to speak to my existing client tomorrow and try to arrange a reduced notice period, which I'm pretty sure they'll be accepting of.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    [sarcasm]You seem to know me, my client and our relationship pretty well.[/sarcasm]

Honestly guys, I've been doing this for long enough to know how to handle myself. Thanks for the advice, but you aren't in my shoes, so you couldn't possibly know all the intricacies of the situation. I wanted advice on a specific situation, which is unfortunately a bit of a grey area.
    Well, as we are in the sarcastic mood, I must sarcastically say, why did you post a question in here, as you obviously know all the answers? You are right, we don't know your situation. We are / I am speculating based on what you have told us.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

Been at current ClientCo for 3 months............................................ . and I tentatively accepted (a renewal). In the meantime.......................................... the day after I sign my renewal (which I put off for more than a week).
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    To those who are saying he has to give notice as in the contract, how (and when) do you give notice on a contract/schedule of work which hasn't yet started?
    By his own admission, he states he's signed the renewal (contract). So he serves notice the same as the agency does when the client cancels the role before the contractor has walked on site.

This really is being made into a mountain when it's hardly a molehill.

The OP options are he serves notice (on the contract terms he's signed), sends a subbie or he stays put. It's not rocket science.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    To those who are saying he has to give notice as in the contract, how (and when) do you give notice on a contract/schedule of work which hasn't yet started?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I don't do "tricks", and I've never been walked off site either. Of course, there's a first time for everything, but I very much doubt it would come to that.

Once I finish negotiations with this other job, I'm going to speak to the client and see if they can let me go early (which is a possibility). If they won't, I'll just have to work the notice. Walking is not an option - not in my book at least.
    Then you are sorted, and there was no need to post an entire thread on what you clearly know already otherwise you end up like pyschocandy.

Leave a comment:

• Spikeh
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You are asking a question you already know the clear answer to.

You made a verbal agreement and recorded it on paper by signing a written contract, that you would continue to provide services to the client once this initial contract has ended.

The only way to get out of it is to give notice if there are no other clauses covering exit or use your ROS clause.

The thing you did wrong is to delay sending the contract in signed.

A common trick after your delay would have to been to return the contract unsigned and then the contract would have to be sent back to you. As it's Christmas you could have many more excuses why the contract doesn't get to the agency until the day before the contract start date.

Oh and if you try and prepare the client for leaving don't be surprised if they walk you of site.
    I don't do "tricks", and I've never been walked off site either. Of course, there's a first time for everything, but I very much doubt it would come to that.

Once I finish negotiations with this other job, I'm going to speak to the client and see if they can let me go early (which is a possibility). If they won't, I'll just have to work the notice. Walking is not an option - not in my book at least.

Leave a comment:

• Spikeh
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Who knows, they may make it worth your while to stay....
    It's becoming more apparent as the days go on that I'd rather be on the bench than stay there tbh... and all the other contractors around me (with no exception) are in the same mindset. Everyone's just waiting for the right opportunity to come up.

Leave a comment:

• Spikeh
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    One thing. Why are you worried about the way the client does things or the way they **** things up?

Happens to me all the time. I don't care. Client pays me for my expertise. If they choose not to listen and/or **** things up and cause delays/hassle why should I worry about it?

Lifes too short to let clients piss you off. All I care about is getting paid....
    Read my posts; because it affects my deliverables. They can run their business however they want, but if I'm sat there unable to do work because someone else can't / won't do their work, I'll kick up a stink.

Leave a comment:

• Spikeh
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    The only thing I will / can say is that be prepared to lose both opportunities, regardless of the outcome. The fact you have spoken to your client about being unhappy there and that you are considering other opportunities is a bad move, as your client is probably now considering whether to cancel the extension and look at bringing in someone else. If I were you, in future, hold your cards to your chest until you have a winning hand. Upfront honesty isn't always the best policy, especially if you are looking to leave. Yes, be honest about your deliverables, but don't give your clients incentive to actually get rid of you.
    [sarcasm]You seem to know me, my client and our relationship pretty well.[/sarcasm]

Honestly guys, I've been doing this for long enough to know how to handle myself. Thanks for the advice, but you aren't in my shoes, so you couldn't possibly know all the intricacies of the situation. I wanted advice on a specific situation, which is unfortunately a bit of a grey area.
    Last edited by Spikeh; 18 December 2012, 17:41.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Did I just read this right?
    Maybe I should have put 'try' not to let clients piss you off.

Nice GIF BTW.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X