• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Taking Large Percentage of Daily Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    You are getting f***ed over.
    Anything over 20% is taking the piss, anything under 10% is excellent.
    At next renewal - I would ask for enough to reduce this to 15%, I wouldnt try to justify or explain.
    Then the games can begin...
    5% here.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Scrat View Post
      Hi all,
      Is it acceptable for an agency to take 36% of my daily rate
      However you look at it, only getting a 64% cut is tulipe. I would be annoyed. My agent is giving me 80%/taking 20%. I'm a bit miffed by that but it's not the end of the world.

I bet there's something in your contract (and the upper tier one too) that states you cannot discuss rates amongst each other (whether that's legal or not is a different matter), so you can't (easily) just go straight to the agent and say, "I hear you're only giving my 64%".
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        You are getting f***ed over.
        Anything over 20% is taking the piss, anything under 10% is excellent.
        At next renewal - I would ask for enough to reduce this to 15%, I wouldnt try to justify or explain.
        Then the games can begin...
        Don't agree with that. It depends on the OP's rate; if it's fairly low the agency still have a fixed cost to cover and the percentage is comparatively much higher. Also, if the agent is getting 36% more than day rate, his margin is actually around 30%.

And if the OP is on a market rate, why is he complaining? You want to set the rate, negotiate better or find your own business.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          5% here.
          mine is taking only 8%
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

How does one go about finding out how much the agent / middleman is getting if noone is able/willing to disclose that information? Do you guys just through any hoops, or just ask and get the answers you're looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by dmo View Post
              How does one go about finding out how much the agent / middleman is getting if noone is able/willing to disclose that information? Do you guys just through any hoops, or just ask and get the answers you're looking for?
              In the past as the PM on the project I've been able to find out they agency cut for myself and the team as I've seen/approved the agency invoices. It's possible I might have shared info with the people I built relationships with at the pub...

Comment

I found out twice thanks to an email attachment sent to me in error.... and one time when an agent went insolvent. I was really pissed when the cut was exorbitant.
                If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Sometimes the client will tell you in a pub conversation because they want to know what the agency cut is.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Its only too much if you find out...

But the client is paying the agency to find them someone and payroll them. If they can take 80% and everyone is happy, then why not?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonAgent View Post
                      Its only too much if you find out...

But the client is paying the agency to find them someone and payroll them. If they can take 80% and everyone is happy, then why not?
                      If your wife starts sleeping around, I take it you'd be happy (but obviously not if you found out)
                      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                      X