• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odd job man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd job man

Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas on the best way to approach this, and if anyone has done this before, if it worked OK, etc.

This would not be a problem and I would not be posting here if I was working direct for the client as I could speak to them directly, but an agent is in the middle.

I won't be needed for full weeks (5 days) soon, and there could be a possibility to work on days as-and-when required. i.e. client can phone me and see if I can do small jobs for them, either from home or onsite.

I'd like to suggest this to the client, quoting a day rate, with an added premium if required to be onsite (it's a fair old distance to travel!).

Could this work with an agent in the middle? I was thinking maybe bill the client direct and [relucantly] pay the agent commision (if they agreed to this of course). Or carry on as usual, filling in timesheets for days worked, agent paying me, and client paying the agency.

My worry is that the agent might not be arsed with odd days here and there and figure that it isn't worth their while.

I'll have a word with the client methinks, see if they like the idea.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Are you through an agent already? I would have though there is even less incentive to take you on direct for adhoc work than full time. Your handcuff clause may spoil that idea and also the client may need you to be on a PSL before you can invoice them direct as well.

Again not knowing the history here but a premium for travel to site? As a client I wouldn't accept this and to be honest as a contractor I would have to think hard about adding this in. I work per day, getting to my work is my problem not my client. At best I would include travel time as part of the time worked if you are going to be billing by accumulating hours up to a day? The last think I would have thought you want to do is add complexity like this to such an adhoc piece of work. Keep it nice an simple for the client so he doesn't re-visit the agreement when it narks him IMO
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you through an agent already? I would have though there is even less incentive to take you on direct for adhoc work than full time. Your handcuff clause may spoil that idea and also the client may need you to be on a PSL before you can invoice them direct as well.

Again not knowing the history here but a premium for travel to site? As a client I wouldn't accept this and to be honest as a contractor I would have to think hard about adding this in. I work per day, getting to my work is my problem not my client. At best I would include travel time as part of the time worked if you are going to be billing by accumulating hours up to a day? The last think I would have thought you want to do is add complexity like this to such an adhoc piece of work. Keep it nice an simple for the client so he doesn't re-visit the agreement when it narks him IMO
      Thanks for your reply.

Yes - i'm through an agent already. Actually, the adhoc work would suit me for a number of months (personal reasons). And yes again - there is a 6 month handcuff clause in the contract (I wouldn't plan on pulling a fast one over the agent, and would make sure they are aware of what is happening).

The word "premium" is wrong. It should say "a discount for not being required onsite". Or maybe just lower the day rate and charge client for site visits. There is good reason for this. It's a 4 hour drive to client site (and another 4 hours back), so i would be unwilling to drive down for a 1 day piece of work.

Comment

Sounds like a nice little set up.

Have you thought about selling the client a set number of call off days for a fixed price? Might have more chance of getting that through direct and avoiding issues with the agent as it is a different type of contract? Client might forget to call all the days off as well

Comment

Sounds like a nice little set up.

Have you thought about selling the client a set number of call off days for a fixed price? Might have more chance of getting that through direct and avoiding issues with the agent as it is a different type of contract? Client might forget to call all the days off as well
          Not sure what you mean by call off days?

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Not sure what you mean by call off days?
            Sell them say 20 days consultancy at £xxxx which they then use as and when they see fit and you just track the days used. Am just thinking out loud here. Might have better chance to sell them that direct rather than a body shopping exercise the agent is more geared up for. I am sure you are outside IR35 already but fixed price offering will surely help further? Might be downsides not knowing your situation but something to think about?

Am sure other contractors have done this so maybe someone else can jump in here with pros and cons?

Comment

Sell them say 20 days consultancy at £xxxx which they then use as and when they see fit and you just track the days used. Am just thinking out loud here. Might have better chance to sell them that direct rather than a body shopping exercise the agent is more geared up for. I am sure you are outside IR35 already but fixed price offering will surely help further? Might be downsides not knowing your situation but something to think about?

Am sure other contractors have done this so maybe someone else can jump in here with pros and cons?
              Ah right I get you. Sounds like a good idea. The only part i'm concerned about is the agent. There's a chance the agent could find out i'm doing the direct thing. There's always someone who could let slip.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway

Comment

Only problem with a call off is if you get another contract while you have outstanding days remaining on the agreement you could end up with 2 clients wanting you to work the same day. You could have in the contract something along the lines of "20 days to be taken within 3 months of signing".

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
                  Only problem with a call off is if you get another contract while you have outstanding days remaining on the agreement you could end up with 2 clients wanting you to work the same day. You could have in the contract something along the lines of "20 days to be taken within 3 months of signing".
                  or simply add an "if the contractor is available" type clause or have some sort of service target timeframe in which the requested work will be carried out, i.e "work will be acted upon within x days"

essentially, you are acting more like a consultancy with ad hoc work being carried out rather than the standard mon-fri contractor type work arrangement.
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
                    I plan on being at home for 2 to 3 months, hence the reason for all this. An "expires by" option is a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X