• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work not as described

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work not as described

Hi all,

Just started a new contract with a client. The contract is for three months with good rate. But the work itself is not great.
    They advertised as App Developer but it seems like I am into all Support work. and not even applicaiton support. More of an implementaion
    support.
    Dont think there will be any dev. work here if I stick around. I think its three months and gone.
    The client sent the contract document which has one sided clause. i.e. I have to give 4 weeks but client can fire me any time etc. I havent
    signed the contract yet. Thinking about looking for other things. Got nothing lined up at the moment but I think If I look around full time
    then I could have chance to find something in dev area.
    Now I have to make a decision either to sign the contract i.e. have to give a months notice or do a runner..

Any inputs

Take it and suffer the lull that is coming up to xmas. This contract will end in Jan when the roles start coming back, leave and get a proper one. This could be an opportunity to get in there and sort it out for them and get doing what you want to do and possibly get an extension doing it.

I would however make sure the deliverables in your contract meet what you actually are doing or you could fall foul of client direction and control.

I certainly would not be turning down contracts 3 months before xmas.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Doesn't really matter, you've started the work so you've accepted the terms of the contract regardless of signing it or not
      Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
        Hi all,

Just started a new contract with a client. The contract is for three months with good rate. But the work itself is not great.
        They advertised as App Developer but it seems like I am into all Support work. and not even applicaiton support. More of an implementaion
        support.
        Dont think there will be any dev. work here if I stick around. I think its three months and gone.
        The client sent the contract document which has one sided clause. i.e. I have to give 4 weeks but client can fire me any time etc. I havent
        signed the contract yet. Thinking about looking for other things. Got nothing lined up at the moment but I think If I look around full time
        then I could have chance to find something in dev area.
        Now I have to make a decision either to sign the contract i.e. have to give a months notice or do a runner..

Any inputs
        I had the same last year, the role was not only 100% not as described, but also would have completely deskilled me so I took my option of 7 days notice and jumped. I had nothing to go to only a few nibbles but I was luck, walked into a six monther which was in my skill zone but was extremely tedious! I can stick the tediousness and see the term out, but I think the issue of whether to jump becomes stronger if there are other aspects to consider other than boredom.

Comment

I would however make sure the deliverables in your contract meet what you actually are doing or you could fall foul of client direction and control.
          Thanks NLUK..
          The deliverables are doint any new dev. (which is none) and support existing applications (which is100% work).

And what about future work. i.e. skill set etc. Am I not in danger of being support person then dev. (so do speak)

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
            Doesn't really matter, you've started the work so you've accepted the terms of the contract regardless of signing it or not
            A very good point. Why the hell did you start without a signed contract?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
              But if OP has a fair notice period he can just bail out....

4 weeks - re-read. Bit of a sticky one...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I had the same last year, the role was not only 100% not as described, but also would have completely deskilled me so I took my option of 7 days notice and jumped. I had nothing to go to only a few nibbles but I was luck, walked into a six monther which was in my skill zone but was extremely tedious! I can stick the tediousness and see the term out, but I think the issue of whether to jump becomes stronger if there are other aspects to consider other than boredom.
                Problem with myend is that if I sign the contract then I am here for four weeks. So I have to move . It has to be now..

I am willing to travel etc.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  A very good point. Why the hell did you start without a signed contract?
                  They only forwarded the contract last night. Didnt gave me any chance to read . (They prob. didnt want me to!)

Comment

Didnt realise that...

So I cant decline the contract?

Comment

Working...
                    X