• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG and QDOS IR35 coverage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
    But if you close your company down there's only a limited period in which HMRC can open an enquiry, so you'd only need it for a short time.
    Of course. How long?

One question that remains outstanding though. If you get QDOS TLC35, then you have to go to QDOS first in the event of any contact from HMRC? Is this correct?

Just thinking of people who are PCG members and have this QDOS insurance. In this case, you couldn't go to PCG first because this would make your QDOS cover invalid (in the unlikely event you lost).
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Of course. How long?

One question that remains outstanding though. If you get QDOS TLC35, then you have to go to QDOS first in the event of any contact from HMRC? Is this correct?

Just thinking of people who are PCG members and have this QDOS insurance. In this case, you couldn't go to PCG first because this would make your QDOS cover invalid (in the unlikely event you lost).
      How long? The end of the first full tax year after you close your company. HMRC will want to see your last SAR. So standard advice is two financial years from closure.

And if you insure the saem thing twice, the insurance companies will have their own discussion about who takes it forward. I doubt you'll have any input. Also don't forget that PCG Plus is not an insurance, only the Survive35 bit is. You may find you have cover for the nvestigation and still no cover if you lose.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        How long? The end of the first full tax year after you close your company. HMRC will want to see your last SAR. So standard advice is two financial years from closure.

And if you insure the saem thing twice, the insurance companies will have their own discussion about who takes it forward. I doubt you'll have any input. Also don't forget that PCG Plus is not an insurance, only the Survive35 bit is. You may find you have cover for the nvestigation and still no cover if you lose.
        QDOS are adamant that any contact from HMRC must go through them and them only. If you go to PCG first, it will be invalid.

Thats my understanding anyway.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          QDOS are adamant that any contact from HMRC must go through them and them only. If you go to PCG first, it will be invalid.

Thats my understanding anyway.
          Well that makes things simple then. Stick with the PCG
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The insurance policy is designed around our own experience and expertise. The underwriters are happy to cover the IR35 liabilities because they know we'll be handling the case. The only exception is if you are using Bauer & Cottrell, who we have a long-standing relationship with.

We will cover any costs of your accountant gathering information etc. in the event of an enquiry.
            Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Well that makes things simple then. Stick with the PCG
              I'm actually the opposite on this. As QDOS covers everything (enquiries+taxes/penalties, etc), whereas PCG only covers the investigation part, I'd rather be covered for the whole lot rather than just part...

Comment

So am i correct in thinking that QDOS TLC35 will cover all previous contracts as well? (presuming you meet their criteria in the questionairre you mentioned?)

I've been looking through their website & the policy documentation but i'm not totally clear (i plan to call them anyway but thought i'd ask incase anyone knew already)

The website says

TLC35 includes:

1. Full Qdos representation in the event of:
                •A PAYE compliance review
                •An IR35 dispute
                •A PAYE/NIC dispute
                •A VAT dispute
                •Any HMRC aspect enquiry
                •Any HMRC full enquiry

2. IR35 tax/NIC liabilities up to £50,000, £75,000 or £100,000

3. Interest

4. Penalties

5. Backdated tax years fully covered

The insurance is run on a 'claims made' basis. This means that the policy will cover claims which arise and are notified to our claims department whilst cover is in force. Retrospective tax years are insured.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                  I'm actually the opposite on this. As QDOS covers everything (enquiries+taxes/penalties, etc), whereas PCG only covers the investigation part, I'd rather be covered for the whole lot rather than just part...
                  Both the PCG and QDOS don't expect to lose.

They just have different marketing to cover the same thing.

After all why would you cover some ones penalties and back taxes which could run into a hell of a lot of money if you think you are likely to lose the case?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Both the PCG and QDOS don't expect to lose.

They just have different marketing to cover the same thing.

After all why would you cover some ones penalties and back taxes which could run into a hell of a lot of money if you think you are likely to lose the case?
                    Which is what I've been saying all along.

However, IR35 is applied to individual contracts - which is a big part of the problem with it - so covering back contracts may ot be all that feasible.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
                      So am i correct in thinking that QDOS TLC35 will cover all previous contracts as well? (presuming you meet their criteria in the questionairre you mentioned?)
                      Yes, all previous contracts are covered providing they were all done through the same limited company.
                      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                      X