• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract offer and paperwork

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract offer and paperwork

Had an interview and got call from agent that I've been offered the role. How long should it normally take between receiving a verbal contract offer through agent and official confirmation at least via email? Been told to start next Tuesday but still no contract details through and it's been two days. Should I contact the client for clarification? Admittedly, i did mention to the client I had another interview.

Originally posted by EC4N View Post
    Had an interview and got call from agent that I've been offered the role. How long should it normally take between receiving a verbal contract offer through agent and official confirmation at least via email? Been told to start next Tuesday but still no contract details through and it's been two days. Should I contact the client for clarification? Admittedly, i did mention to the client I had another interview.
    Wrong way round. You don't start without a signed contract. Lean on the agent to get you one; after all, you want to get it reviewed, don't you...?

As for mentioning other interviews, (a) that's stupid and (b) the agent wouldn't say you've got the gig if the client hadn't told him you had.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Speak to the agent.

Comment

Not sure as to how long but do not go onto site without that contract.

One of the big guys tried doing a similar thing with me. The terms on the contract were decidedly unhelpful with regards to IR35 and Qdos recommended some of the clauses be removed/edited.

The agent wanted me onsite before the changes had be made. They promised to amend the contract once I was onsite; I refused and never heard back from them again. There was no way the contract was ever going to get changed, problem is once you start working you accept the contract.

If you start work without having a contract in place the agent can pretty much put whatever they want in it and you have accepted it - any terms in the contract will now be binding and you will have to abide by them. Thats he biggest problem I would have in your situation.
        Last edited by Mister Clark; 20 September 2012, 13:40.

Comment

Tell them that your IR35 insurance requires that you have the contract reviewed and you cannot proceed otherwise.

If there is an issue then offer to speak to the client on their behalf - they normally bolt at this idea (made, of course, on your part by a desire to help them over come the minor admin issue which is blocking the contract coming through) and you are likely to get a contract emailed to you before the phone call ends.

Be nice, be polite and be a steel fist in a satin glove.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

The agent should immediately send the contract through by email after the verbal acceptance from you.

If you haven't got the contract by 4pm today then contact the client and make it clear that while you would love to start work for them on Tuesday, unless the agent sends the contract through and it's agreed you cannot as your insurances* will be invalid.

If the client isn't around today then phone them up at 9.30am tomorrow morning.

The contract will appear at least an hour after you have done that.

*You don't have to specify which ones.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Unless it's a case of "You've got the role, but we're just finalising the budget" like it was with me at this gig. Took 6 weeks in total in my case and so nearly sacked it off but glad I stuck it out as so many times in situations like that, it amounts to nothing.

Good luck.

Comment

Talk to the agent. I'm always a believer in cockup over conspiracy. Contrary to what some would have you believe, not every one of the agents are out to screw you over. Some will try and some won't.

If you get to the day before it's due to start, talk to the client. The onus will then be on the agent to sort it quick and then you may be in a better negotiation position if there are any suspect clauses.

Comment

Decided to call client HR after 4'ish. Had to leave a message to call me back with details of issue. Very shortly afterwards, got the contract details through from agent. Unsure if it was coincidental or as a result some intervention but it's all sorted.

Many thanks for your all your advices! Appreciated.

Comment

Decided to call client HR after 4'ish. Had to leave a message to call me back with details of issue. Very shortly afterwards, got the contract details through from agent. Unsure if it was coincidental or as a result some intervention but it's all sorted.
                    I'd bet my house that it wasn't
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X