• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fixed price contract - software quality arbitration ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed price contract - software quality arbitration ?

Hi,

I'm drawing up a fixed price contract and am interested in finding an independant arbiter of software quality in case there is a dispute. Anyone know an organisation that can do this at a reasonable price ?

Independence is key, since the client will need to agree the choice. I googled the bcs.org site but didn't really turn anything up (there was one name that cropped up, but nothing from the BCS themselves).

Thanks,

Boo

The best way to handle this is to prepare an acceptance test spec. Basically if your system passes it you get paid. No arbitration required. This should be prepared after the analysis phase.

i.e. User enters bank account, selects bank account display function, bank account is displayed.

Already have the data prepared you know so it's clear Bank account 1022202020 entered bank account 1022020202 displayed.

The document might be rather bulky but is surprisingly quick to produce. It also basically clarifies how the thing should work, it's a real eye opener.

Also I would also advise breaking your fixed price contract into two phases. Analysis and detailed design/implementation. After the analysis phase you want to be able to reestimate your implementation phase. I would advise getting the test spec done in the analysis phase, it should be independent of any design.

In terms of arbitration your only option is a court of law I'm afraid. But you don't want to let it get that far.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 September 2012, 06:15.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
    X