• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract renewal .... have you ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract renewal .... have you ever

At the risk of sounding silly ....

My Client (large Bank) sent me an email asking for renewal and we had a chat about it. The paper work is with HR or so they say. However my usual agent is ignoring my phone calls and I know that he is not on holidays.

At the Client - the period is very, very busy. Is it possible that the "renewal" talk was just the trick to get me working at 150% capacity rather than look for another contract ? Would hiring manager stoop to that level to secure my commitment for the next few weeks? Just asking like ...
    Last edited by mos; 19 September 2012, 09:37.
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Bearing in mind you can't work 150% and are already putting as much commitment in as you can I don't see how the offer of a renewal will be a motivator to put more in so I don't think he is being underhand. He possibly wants a renewal but it isn't in his hands.

Just continue as normal and be professional. If there is a renewal on tap it will appear at somepoint. I don't think it would be unreasonable to point out to the manager that unless you have it in writing and signed you cannot attend site due to your and the clients insurances being invalid amongst other things. If you put something he cannot argue in the way he might pull his finger out. If you complain you are worried about getting paid if you are in without a contract he might not be so bothered. He cannot argue insurances.

Make it known that you will not be back in until everything is in order so it is in his interests to get it sorted and carry on as normal.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my experience, how busy you are, how much work you've got on, as well as potential hassle of you not being there bear no relation to how much effort client makes to get renewal sorted. Its defies belief sometimes how useless some clients are at sorting this out.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

What Psycho said +1
        Renewals are a strange combination of timing, available budget, client current financial status, how much juice your hiring mgr has, how well you get on with the people there, how many people you have upset etc etc
        IME how well you do the job or contribute is only one factor (sometimes very minor).
        Even if you are doing half a job, they will need someone else to do that half and all perms claim to be snowed !
        PLUS its a lot easier to keep a contractor than it is to jump through the hoops needed to get a new one in, justification wise so often they need a good reason to say bye. I try not to give them that reason.....

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
          At the risk of sounding silly ....

My Client (large Bank) sent me an email asking for renewal and we had a chat about it. The paper work is with HR or so they say. However my usual agent is ignoring my phone calls and I know that he is not on holidays.

At the Client - the period is very, very busy. Is it possible that the "renewal" talk was just the trick to get me working at 150% capacity rather than look for another contract ? Would hiring manager stoop to that level to secure my commitment for the next few weeks? Just asking like ...
          Jesus wept. I mean I know we were all new to contracting once upon a time but why are these new intake posting such tulipe?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
          X