• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Re-Newal 24 Month Rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    By fudging the dates you KNOW you are going to be there. Asking for a 4 month and knowing you will get a 2 monther after instead of 6 months means you KNOW you will be there.
    But what if the contractor fudged the dates to stay within the 24 month rule and then actually did leave before the end of 24 months on site?

Perhaps a compromise would be to stop claiming for the expenses now and wait and see what happens. IF the contact is terminated without breaking the 24 month rule, the expenses can be claimed retrospectively.

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    An alternative is to ask for a rate rise to cover maybe not all, but some of the expense. Not sure though if clientco would go for this but may be worth a try ?
    Definitely worth a try. Put it to them that your expenses are going to increase due to you being on site for 24 months and you are going to have to increase your rate. Might be tough in the current economic climate but worth a shot. Alternatively, it might be time to look for something different or a bit closer to home unless the place you are working is a really good gig.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      But what if the contractor fudged the dates to stay within the 24 month rule and then actually did leave before the end of 24 months on site?
      But he isn't. He is fudging his figures because the expected date of him leaving from his client is over the 24 months. I am being super pedantic I know but that is me in these cases. He knows he will be there over the 24 month so any amount of fudging paperwork or pretending he might not be is just bollox.

Perhaps a compromise would be to stop claiming for the expenses now and wait and see what happens. IF the contact is terminated without breaking the 24 month rule, the expenses can be claimed retrospectively.
      Not seeing that as a compromise. Those are his normal options. He is over so he stops claiming unless he doesn't make it in which case he claims. I see what you are saying but that isn't a compromise.

Definitely worth a try. Put it to them that your expenses are going to increase due to you being on site for 24 months and you are going to have to increase your rate. Might be tough in the current economic climate but worth a shot. Alternatively, it might be time to look for something different or a bit closer to home unless the place you are working is a really good gig.
      Don't mention 24 month rule or reasons for rise IMO. Passing on your companys business to the client in unprofessional I think. Tell him about economic climate and all that but don't go in to details about legislation changes that are your companies issue and no one elses. Can I have some more money because I lose a tax break sounds v amateur.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't mention 24 month rule or reasons for rise IMO. Passing on your companys business to the client in unprofessional I think. Tell him about economic climate and all that but don't go in to details about legislation changes that are your companies issue and no one elses. Can I have some more money because I lose a tax break sounds v amateur.
        A real business would say "From this date xx/xx/xxxx our prices rise by 5%."

Personally I would (and did) time my contracts to be just under 24 months. But this wasnt too difficult as I started 10 days into a year and my contract of 3 months was till end of 3rd month rather than 90 days.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          A real business would say "From this date xx/xx/xxxx our prices rise by 5%."

Personally I would (and did) time my contracts to be just under 24 months. But this wasnt too difficult as I started 10 days into a year and my contract of 3 months was till end of 3rd month rather than 90 days.
          +1 to both these. Bit of forward planning right at the beginning of the contract is the way to go, not trying to fudge it when it is too late.

Comment

You say something about not having to be at cleint site very day - is there a chance you are inside the 40% rule?
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
              You say something about not having to be at cleint site very day - is there a chance you are inside the 40% rule?
              40% rule applies to return back to client site doesn't it, as opposed to 40% on site all the way through ?

One complication arises when a contractor returns to a workplace they have previously attended. Such situations are governed by the so-called "40% rule".

If you look back over the previous 24 months, and you spent 40% or more time at your current workplace, you cannot claim travel expenses.

For more details, and examples of how the rules are applied by HMRC, consult EDM32080.

Understandably, the calculation of this percentage can be a complicated process (and ever-changing), so you should always seek professional advice if you are unsure about what you can claim for.

May be our esteemed fellow posters can clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                40% rule applies to return back to client site doesn't it, as opposed to 40% on site all the way through ?

One complication arises when a contractor returns to a workplace they have previously attended. Such situations are governed by the so-called "40% rule".

If you look back over the previous 24 months, and you spent 40% or more time at your current workplace, you cannot claim travel expenses.

For more details, and examples of how the rules are applied by HMRC, consult EDM32080.

Understandably, the calculation of this percentage can be a complicated process (and ever-changing), so you should always seek professional advice if you are unsure about what you can claim for.

May be our esteemed fellow posters can clarify.
                Not sure what you are asking here but these rules apply to geographic areas, not per client. Oh no, it applies all the way though... which includes going back after a break. It is a rolling 40% over any given 2 year period. So if you worked at client site 2 days a week the 24 month rule would never kick in.

Comment

Not sure what you are asking here but these rules apply to geographic areas, not per client. Oh no, it applies all the way though... which includes going back after a break. It is a rolling 40% over any given 2 year period. So if you worked at client site 2 days a week the 24 month rule would never kick in.
                  My situation is that I am not taking a break from client/location as going all the way through the 2 year period.

Interesting one - just spoken again to my accountant who advises that by not claiming expenses would more or less net out by the funds being retained in the company as profit, which I could draw down on anyway as dividend etc. He is going to look into this further.

Comment

Working...
                  X