• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being bullied by my agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working 8 hours instead of 7.5 hours per day means that the project gets completed 6.25% quicker.

Which means you'll be on the bench quicker.

93.75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      Working 8 hours instead of 7.5 hours per day means that the project gets completed 6.25% quicker.

LOL. Just spent 3 months working on something for client which has now been canned and they've gone back to first way I recommended. First thing I thought - oh well, thats 3 months extra here for me.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

With respect, that is wrong. It's 89.71 %
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          It wouldn't surprise me if it was entirely deliberate on their part. Get you in the role, then try and hide the actual hours under the "it was small error, it'll look bad if you don't" argument.
          Good point. Wouldnt put it past an agent to do that.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            I have often found this is the case. They are not all bad clients. These are the sort of situations where it's worth positively encouraging the give and take.
            Not that it automatically should apply to contracting but permies are legally entitled to claim they have been in for a day even if they leave after 5 minutes because of sickness. As we know, for ease of administration, clients often apply the same general rules across the board even if they cost more in contractor fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
              Not that it automatically should apply to contracting but permies are legally entitled to claim they have been in for a day even if they leave after 5 minutes because of sickness. As we know, for ease of administration, clients often apply the same general rules across the board even if they cost more in contractor fees.
              All of my contracts of employment (in my past permie days) always stated number of hours per week, e.g. 37.5, along with the usual "you may be expected to work extra hours for free from time to time" BS.

What is a day? 37.5 / 5? Not that i really care, just saying like...
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

All of my contracts of employment (in my past permie days) always stated number of hours per week, e.g. 37.5, along with the usual "you may be expected to work extra hours for free from time to time" BS.

What is a day? 37.5 / 5? Not that i really care, just saying like...
                In your example a working day is 7.5 hours including your lunch break.

Sorry. What I mean is that in permanent employment just showing up at work indicates that you attended, even if you go home immediately after you come in. The employer cannot claim that you had a day off through illness, capriciousness or as leave. You showed up so you were at work that day.
                Last edited by Taita; 13 September 2012, 12:02. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Working...
                X