• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do agents really earn for recruiting a permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do agents really earn for recruiting a permie?

Im just curious as to how much agents get when they place a permie?
    Its because despite my CV being posted for contract work , I do get calls from agents re: perm jobs.
    I politely tell them that I am looking for contract work but some do persist and work really hard and tell me 'well you know the state of the market. there are no contracts out there but there are loads of permenant jobs.
    blah blah ..yeah yeah I know all that!!

It depends but I believe an agent will typically charge a 20% retainer of base which is spread across a year or alternatively may charge an upfront flat fee of x value. Not bad if you are able to recruit for middle / senior management permanent roles.

Comment

Always a stream of contractors going permie so we are our own worst enemy here. So many people go contract just because it is easier than getting a perm job and are happy to switch back. They wouldn't do it if no one ever took it up. Just one of those things we have to deal with.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
        It depends but I believe an agent will typically charge a 20% retainer of base which is spread across a year or alternatively may charge an upfront flat fee of x value. Not bad if you are able to recruit for middle / senior management permanent roles.
        Thats interesting. I always thought that agents get a one off payment once the employee has passed their 3 month probabtion period.

It is quite lucarative for agents..and more then their agencies can make on placing people on contracts?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Always a stream of contractors going permie so we are our own worst enemy here. So many people go contract just because it is easier than getting a perm job and are happy to switch back. They wouldn't do it if no one ever took it up. Just one of those things we have to deal with.
          that's true but there are always seem to be more permie jobs on offer than there are contract jobs. The expectation of experience also seems to be higher for a contract engagement than it is for a company looking for a permanent employee, if lets say for example all things we're equal.

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
            that's true but there are always seem to be more permie jobs on offer than there are contract jobs. The expectation of experience also seems to be higher for a contract engagement than it is for a company looking for a permanent employee, if lets say for example all things we're equal.
            I think that is because they have to do more ringing round for them and are harder to fill than contract jobs so just appears there are more. Jobs are open longer to get the right people so more people get rung per role.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
              Thats interesting. I always thought that agents get a one off payment once the employee has passed their 3 month probabtion period. It is quite lucarative for agents..and more then their agencies can make on placing people on contracts?
              Years ago I got placed by an agent who told me he was getting paid 25% of my annual salary provided I worked at the company for more than 6 months. These days I would guess that the cost is anything from 5% to 25% of the employer's salary.

If a contractor takes the king's shilling and goes permie then there will normally be a temp-to-perm fee that the agency gets. How much this is will vary widely depending on the relationship between the client and the agency and how much business they put their way.

As for contractors, the agency will take from 5%-30% of the contractor's daily rate so I guess it all balances out.

The ideal scenario is for an agency to place a contractor on a fat 25% margin and they stay on with the client for years, blithely unaware that the agent is making money for old rope.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I hear from a guy I know who used to work in recruitment (not IT, but oil and gas) that is can be 3 or 4 months salary.

Comment

Originally posted by sunflower View Post
                  I hear from a guy I know who used to work in recruitment (not IT, but oil and gas) that is can be 3 or 4 months salary.
                  Talking to a recruiter once, he told me that they get 25% of your annual salary once you finish your probation, be it 3 months or 6 months. That is why they are normally relucant to place a contractor in a perm role..

Comment

I helped a recruitment agent I've worked with before place a role at a client of mine recently. He charged 17.5% on the annual salary, so netted a cool £7875+VAT on the £45K salary.

Comment

Working...
                    X