• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Focus on Domain or Technology

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus on Domain or Technology

Hi

I am new to contracting and would like to know if it is better for building a career in IT ( as contractor and beyond ) to focus on

1. Domain ( eg Finance ) while sacrificing on Technology (eg : working in VB or VBA ) or kind of work ( eg : Support )
    or
    2. Try work with newest/upcoming Technologies ( eg : ASP.NET MVC4 )

Thanks
    Jake

It really depends on your clients and projects.

Some finance clients really would like to see sector experience on your cv. Telecoms is another area where previous experience is valued. Other industrial sectors are not always so picky.

Follow your own interests a bit here. If you are really interested in working in IT in a particular business area, go for that. If certain technologies grab you, try to get projects in that area.

Either way, you will hopefully be able to find new projects.

Comment

You need to choose something that can't easily be offshored, so be careful on the technology front as this is easiest to move.

It might be an idea to gain exposure to a variety of technology on your way to an architect path.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
      X