• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pair programming - how wide spread is it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pair programming - how wide spread is it?

Interested to know how many contractors are in development teams that are pair-programming (particularly serverside devs - Java/C#/C++). I sometimes see it crop up in job ads and know some teams where I am now do all there work in pairs, often using the pomodoro technique.

Is this something contractors *need* to embrace to stay employable?

Originally posted by Wils View Post
    Interested to know how many contractors are in development teams that are pair-programming (particularly serverside devs - Java/C#/C++). I sometimes see it crop up in job ads and know some teams where I am now do all there work in pairs, often using the pomodoro technique.

<cough>
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      <cough>
      Auto correct did it.

Comment

Auto correct did it.
        I think he is getting at "employable" where as you could be "competitive"
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Nope.

Was first introduced to it - and practiced it - in 1989 when I worked for a City-based company. Only worked on one other site where they truly did pair-programming rather than just claimed they did pair-programming. I've only ever introduced it to one other client site where the project scope was quite volatile.

TBH, just flick through a couple of books. It's not difficult at all.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Is this something contractors *need* to embrace to stay competitive?
            I have never tried it, nor do i want to. The thought of someone watching me over my shoulder and directing me is not my bag.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              I have never tried it, nor do i want to. The thought of someone watching me over my shoulder and directing me is not my bag.
              My brother-in-law has to do this where he works in a certain well known media company. I won't repeat his opinion of it.

Comment

Indeed. I've lived in fear of ever being forced to do this ever since I first heard of the concept.

There was one contract I applied for that said "Windows XP" as an essential programming skill, which was odd, and the slightly confused phone call I had with the agent was odder. Of course afterwards I realised his mistake. Doh.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think you are completely missing the point. It isn't about having someone "watching over your shoulder and directing you" or you doing this to someone else: it's about sharing the development responsibility - design, coding and testing. If you work with someone who knows their stuff and is a good communicator - and you are the same - it can be a very effective technique.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

It's currently being used in one of the projects in our programme. The developers are using .NET/C#/agile.

It can be a cringe worthy exercise as you notice developers spending days together working intimately on coding problems and having manly bonding sessions while at it.

Comment

Working...
                    X