• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking 2 weeks out in the middle of a 6 month contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 of my roles is support. That requires me to be there when my customers are.
    And of course, like all outsourced support organisations, you do it on a T&M basis...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm in a similar position just that i'm getting married rather than attending my kids arrival.

Didn't bother saying anything at the start as i really needed the contract, told them last week i can't work between x and y dates for personal reasons (They don't need to know why). They said fine and just want something in writing that i'm not going to piss off permanently. Objectives and time scales pre 2 week departure are still to be agreed but as long as everything doesn't start running more than a week late then the hand over should be fine and a small pause in the project is easily workable.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I might try that one. It worked on my last contract where I was off at the hospital for about a week.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

[QUOTE=TheMonkey]Good question: Has anyone experienced "escaping" for 2 weeks during a longish term contract? QUOTE]

NEVER.

i contract till i die.

Comment

[QUOTE=el duder]
            Originally posted by TheMonkey
            Good question: Has anyone experienced "escaping" for 2 weeks during a longish term contract? QUOTE]

NEVER.

i contract till i die.
            You shall die young then.

Comment

I started my first contract with a client in November last year. 3 months later, after the first renewal, I told them that I will need to be off all July as I am getting married abroad + honeymoon. They didn't have any issue at all. Just got my second renewal till end of September...

Just ask them. Surely they understand how important it is to be available for the birth of your child!

Comment

Originally posted by malandri
                Surely they understand how important it is to be available for the birth of your child!
                And they know you'll be desperate to get back to work after a week anyway...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                  And they know you'll be desperate to get back to work after a week anyway...
                  Yeah so I can get some sleep. This is the second one so I'm used to power-sleeping on tubes and trams.

Had the interview today, nailed it and managed to get the job for the next 6 months (even though I turned up in jeans, trainers and a t-shirt!). Sorted 2 weeks off. Total cash sum is VERY nice too

Joy to the internet start ups! Now to face the battle of keeping them alive long enough to get paid.

Comment

Working...
                  X