• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracted Hours Madness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get the job done and ignore their grumbles. If they choose to give you notice that's their call. If you've got something else to go to or don't feel you can tolerate it any longer then quit. You could start working from home a couple of days a week, that should bring it to a conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
      Get the job done and ignore their grumbles. If they choose to give you notice that's their call. If you've got something else to go to or don't feel you can tolerate it any longer then quit. You could start working from home a couple of days a week, that should bring it to a conclusion.
      That's pretty much were I am at now. Working from home without advance approval at this place will just trigger more hassle and besides i'm a great believer in continuing to be professional in the face of gross non professionalism. I will be leaving this one with my Integrity intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
        That's pretty much were I am at now. Working from home without advance approval at this place will just trigger more hassle and besides i'm a great believer in continuing to be professional in the face of gross non professionalism. I will be leaving this one with my Integrity intact.
        It makes sense to toe the line to a certain degree, just keep focused on the project, do what is required and keep invoicing but the minute someone says you were 10 minutes early/late you just need to be polite and advise them that you have been brought in to do a specific project and that is what you are doing and these time constraints do not apply to you as your an independant contractor.

and rather than get wound up about it, turn it into a bit of a game leave 10 minutes early and arrive 10 minutes early the next day and take 5 minutes extra having a P**s just to wind them up

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
          It makes sense to toe the line to a certain degree, just keep focused on the project, do what is required and keep invoicing but the minute someone says you were 10 minutes early/late you just need to be polite and advise them that you have been brought in to do a specific project and that is what you are doing and these time constraints do not apply to you as your an independant contractor.

and rather than get wound up about it, turn it into a bit of a game leave 10 minutes early and arrive 10 minutes early the next day and take 5 minutes extra having a P**s just to wind them up
          Dont forget extended 'logging' time.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

One project I worked on, the PM was like this (10 minutes late malarky) with some of my contractor colleagues. And, he was a contractor!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Precisely what i'm now doing. I have also located a very good image of an old fashioned factory clocking in machine, you know the one with the punch cards on a big rack for each worker bee. I have bought the high resolutions version on line. I bring in my own laptop which has this image as a screen wallpaper sat on my desk through the day. The other contractors here pissed themseleves laughing when they saw it. For the rest I think its a bit over their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
                Precisely what i'm now doing. I have also located a very good image of an old fashioned factory clocking in machine, you know the one with the punch cards on a big rack for each worker bee. I have bought the high resolutions version on line. I bring in my own laptop which has this image as a screen wallpaper sat on my desk through the day. The other contractors here pissed themseleves laughing when they saw it. For the rest I think its a bit over their heads.
                Well done. That will make you really popular. A good professional way to work. <slow clap>
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

how about being told when and when not you can "take leave"? Ir35 minefield.

Comment

Originally posted by noter View Post
                    how about being told when and when not you can "take leave"? Ir35 minefield.
                    There is nothing wrong with complying with clients policies/drivers. If they have a site shutdown it isn't unreasonable for them to ask you not to attend, it is part of the MOO. Also them suggesting when they would rather you would be available due to delivery constraints isn't unreasonable either.

Neither of the above would be (IMO) considered as direction. Just doing business. I don't think a court would believe that being a contractor gives you carte blanche to do what you want and would understand the client has drivers that may affect your freedom to some extent.

I think how you word your requests and how you deal with it with you client makes the difference. If you approach your requests as a 'holiday request' you have instantly made issue of your own making.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      There is nothing wrong with complying with clients policies/drivers. If they have a site shutdown it isn't unreasonable for them to ask you not to attend, it is part of the MOO. Also them suggesting when they would rather you would be available due to delivery constraints isn't unreasonable either.

Neither of the above would be (IMO) considered as direction. Just doing business. I don't think a court would believe that being a contractor gives you carte blanche to do what you want and would understand the client has drivers that may affect your freedom to some extent.

I think how you word your requests and how you deal with it with you client makes the difference. If you approach your requests as a 'holiday request' you have instantly made issue of your own making.
                      Agree with NLUK. You've got to expect the client has 'some' control over when you're there and when you're not as long as its purely for business reasons.

Again with the leave or whatever you want to call it. Don't ask for holidays but I think its only fair to advise client that you wont be around for this time and ensure its not going to cause them a problem.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X