• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tomorrow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add my 2 cents.

I bought a repo 2 bed flat (converted from a grade II listed building) last Jan for 120k.
    When the flat was first sold 7-8 years ago it was sold for 160k.

I live on the boarder of Kent and London (zone 4, and when I say boarder, it's literality 30 secs walk into London), my mortgage is 550 quid a month, its a nice area with lots of open space, takes 45 mins to the wharf, and 45 mins to the city, no tube, no standing.

As a bonus I was lucky to get a rate bump last month on a long term gig but could I live my current lifestyle on 60K a year? Easily.

PS - good luck with the job hunt and keep as updated.

Comment

I'd agree that London costs are ridiculous, particularly if you live alone or are a sole earner. The trouble is that rents are high, but buying costs even higher.

My last gig was doing Android development, and most of the vacancies are advertised around the £300 to £350 per day level. It's possible to be comfortable on that, but you can't build up much in the way of savings, and that's important in the current market.

Incidentally, nomadd, I find riding a motorbike into London to be a rather stressful experience at the best of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Graemsay View Post
        Incidentally, nomadd, I find riding a motorbike into London to be a rather stressful experience at the best of times.
        True. But at least it makes you live every day like it was your last.

(Already got a few folks in General putting in orders for my organs; I've told them that I've left instructions in my Will to have them listed on eBay. In the interim, I'm keeping them preserved with alcohol. )
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

You can live in Kent - near Ebbsfleet - and be in Kings Cross in just 17 minutes.

Comment

Working...
          X