• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How soon to take all profits as dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    How's this for a good reason...
    Yeah yeah, apart from that I mean !!!

Very drole

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Yeah yeah, apart from that I mean !!!

Very drole
      What other reason do you need? If you keep the warchest in the bank you may have the chance to withdraw it at 10% if you ever shut the company down on top of withdrawing divis.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Must admit I dont see why you'd ever not use all your 42K allowance? Surely the best bet is to use this up as much as possible and bung it in an ISA/savings account.

Not sure if taking more out is the best idea unless you really need the money. Of course, best bet if personal situation allows is to pay 50/50 with the mrs so you both get to use the tax allowance.

Failing that anything over that might as well either bung in pension or leave there for the time being.

So NLUK - what do you do? Leave as much in company as possible? i.e thats your warchest rather than your own savings? Whats the advantage in that?

I know personal savings rates are crap but they're better than business ones...
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
          That's what I meant. I can't think of too many other reasons why a director would leave shareholders funds sitting dormant earning little or no interest unless of course they had a strategy for deploying capital for productive use.
          I sort of thought of putting it in high interest funds abroad (~9-10% p.a.) - of course, all the profits/interest then get repatriated back to the company in the UK, then I can plan all the personal tax implications later.
          Has anyone tried this sort of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
            I sort of thought of putting it in high interest funds abroad (~9-10% p.a.) - of course, all the profits/interest then get repatriated back to the company in the UK, then I can plan all the personal tax implications later.
            Have you put any thought in to this at all?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
              I do see several issues with the strategy. The main financial one is the risk of adverse currency movements. Secondly, one would have to pay the pesky fx agent commissions on conversions when repatriating / sending funds back and forth. Also, when some percentage of the company's income is derived from investments HMRC may consider you an investment company and charge higher corporation tax - this is potentially a non / minor issue. Having said all that, I don't see why its not feasible. It would seek an accountants opninion if you we're serious.

Good to see some discussion on ideas other than simply leaving funds in a "warchest" which inevitablely exposes funds to inflation risk / negative compound effect.

Comment

Working...
              X