• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The best article I've read on how to get paid more

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Excel may not be hardcore but it can make you look good. Do not completely fix anything. An IT pro fixes things the best he can, with success defined as never having to fix it again. Take the model of government IT projects as the perfection of what you should be doing instead: you need to fix enough that you are seen to succeed, but not enough that it won’t need fixing again."

M$ work like this as well. My very first contract was for 6 months to push a button twice a day for a cockup caused by themselves (patch install).

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      The key is come with the result don't tell people you did it. Just get it sorted and report the
      success.
      I think the key is to change jobs often and dont get stuck in a role that you are too good at to promote.

Comment

Good little read thanks. It's true the little things can be the most appreciated and not the things you are contracted for, e.g. 5 minutes sorting out a few pivot tables/charts in Excel for a user can make you look like a genius (and the word spreads)!
        one day at a time

Comment

Working...
        X