• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Both, permament contract and... limited company or self empleeed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both, permament contract and... limited company or self empleeed?

Hi,

I am working on permament contract and I'd like also to start own business as a freelancer. Can I have registered limited company and simultaneously work on perm contract?

Regarding taxes and having a permanent job, it is better not to be as self employeed than a limited company?

Cheers!

Originally posted by michalz View Post
    Hi,

I am working on permament contract and I'd like also to start own business as a freelancer. Can I have registered limited company and simultaneously work on perm contract?

Regarding taxes and having a permanent job, it is better not to be as self employeed than a limited company?

Cheers!
    Cześć Michał.

From reading my previous permanent contracts you're basically a slave to the company that employs you. This includes in some cases giving them rights to the stuff you do at evenings.

It's basically a very binding contract, making sure you live for the company.

However - some contracts I saw had the "moonlighting" clause requiring you to have an agreement of your employer to do anything else. Other contracts just forbid this explicitly.

So - check your contract, and in any case be aware that you'll probably be in the wrong if you choose to work for someone else at the same time.

My advice - don't bother and go contracting full time (but not now, the market is in the toilet).

Comment

Originally posted by qska View Post
      Cześć Michał.

From reading my previous permanent contracts you're basically a slave to the company that employs you. This includes in some cases giving them rights to the stuff you do at evenings.

It's basically a very binding contract, making sure you live for the company.

However - some contracts I saw had the "moonlighting" clause requiring you to have an agreement of your employer to do anything else. Other contracts just forbid this explicitly.

So - check your contract, and in any case be aware that you'll probably be in the wrong if you choose to work for someone else at the same time.

My advice - don't bother and go contracting full time (but not now, the market is in the toilet).
      I don't fully agree with this but you to be abolutely sure. I have seen contracts the do not allow you to work for another company whilst you are working for them. I can't remember the wording which is the problem.

You will most certainly have a handcuff clause stopping you working for clients, suppliers and possibly even the same sector so that is a no go. If you are planning on contracting well away from them you might have a chance.

Most agencies and clients will not allow you to work for them as a sole trader. You need to be clearer what you are doing. Are you giong to be entering in to a contract or will you be a freelancer offering small pieces of set work like graphic design or something.

You also need to make sure you read the guides to the right. If you are going to do this you need to be clued up on how it works and what to do.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X