• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timing of VAT payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing of VAT payment

My next VAT bill is due to be paid by 7th April.

Is there any advantage to paying it before or after this current end of financial year (end of March?)

I've never really thought about it in the past and a search of CUK hasn't turned anything up NorthernLadUK.

I'm on the flat rate scheme if that makes any difference.

EDIT: oops, meant to post in Accounting/Legal, admin can you move please?

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    My next VAT bill is due to be paid by 7th April.

Is there any advantage to paying it before or after this current end of financial year (end of March?)

I've never really thought about it in the past and a search of CUK hasn't turned anything up NorthernLadUK.

I'm on the flat rate scheme if that makes any difference.

EDIT: oops, meant to post in Accounting/Legal, admin can you move please?
    I am sure the proper accountants will be along to answer this shortly, but I can think of no accounting or tax advantage to altering the payment date of the VAT liability.

Comment

I asked my accountant this a few years ago, same with invoicing and paying myself in the next financial year. I was told in the long run it made no difference. It all balances out. If you had some cash flow problem possibly but if you have cash flow problems paying your VAT you are in trouble.

What you save in this year you pay next year with the extra transaction. I do it when it is due just to keep the books clean. Thats my personal method of course.

Be interesting to see if something has changed or the advice I was given wasn't right though
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks folks, didn't think so.

Comment

Working...
        X