• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with no contract, just a purchase order..is this wise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a few shorter term engagements without a contract or even a PO on occasion and always been OK but it all depends on your personal risk tolerance. Normally it's been with bigger companies where I'm going direct and sometimes it just takes time to raise the PO etc. I've always had at least an email confirmation of the main terms or latterly sent them a basic t&c via EchoSign for electronic signature.

My calculation was on the basis that if I had nothing on and the work was local/remote and interesting for me my marginal cost to take it isn't much.

Comment

Originally posted by roger55 View Post
      By contract I meant the job, no there was no actual contract...not being able to supply me with a piece of paper, even handwritten agreeing at least the day rate and work hours, is something which makes me frown.

No I think I did the right thing here, the company looked too fly by night for my liking, and I have a strong instinct if not payment, there would have been problems with the actual work, what with the accountant butting in and such
      Always trust your gut instinct, the times I haven't have been the ones I regret.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by TheSurfer View Post
        I've had a few shorter term engagements without a contract or even a PO on occasion and always been OK but it all depends on your personal risk tolerance. Normally it's been with bigger companies where I'm going direct and sometimes it just takes time to raise the PO etc. I've always had at least an email confirmation of the main terms or latterly sent them a basic t&c via EchoSign for electronic signature.

My calculation was on the basis that if I had nothing on and the work was local/remote and interesting for me my marginal cost to take it isn't much.
        WTSS.

I'm turning up next week without a contract but I've sent them one and they asked me to turn up. Also they're big and I've worked with them before.

My gut is quite happy about this
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Always trust your gut instinct, the times I haven't have been the ones I regret.
          So true! You know, if there was only the one sticky post allowed then this^^ should be it.

The OP may well have made the right decision based on gut instinct and the way they read the situation and the people they were dealing with.

However a PO is a legal contract if you choose to accept it.

Walking out due to failure of the client to raise a PO is perfectly reasonable, especially if you have other doubts.

Working with only a PO as evidence of an agreement would be fine imho if the situation "felt right".

Comment

Working...
          X