• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Go permanent or stay contracting, would you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go permanent or stay contracting, would you?

Ive been offered a permanent role for roughly the same money I would make as a contractor. And I am undecided whether to go for it.

What would make you go permanent?

Is the financial gains the most important reason for you going contracting? Or are the the variety of work, being your own boss etc very important?

In my case it is for startup so roughly the same lack of benefits as a contract. And I suppose not much more job security either.

Thats a choice only you can make as it depends on what makes you happy, your responsibilities and priorities.

For me the money is not a main draw to contracting to be honest if I earnt the same as when I worked permanent I would still contract as for me its mainly the fact I'm not stuck anywhere for too long and have a lot more choice and freedom, the money for me is a bonus.

Comment

For me contracting was initially about the money, but after only a few months it was more about the freedom I have a contractor and the variety of work. Add to the fact that I have no involvement with business politics as well keeps me well happy.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

The fact you are so undecided makes me think you are better going permie. Someone that is happy contracting wouldn't even consider it unless it is a pretty stunning offer giving a simple choice.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been tempted to perm a few times in the last 5 years and have immediately regretted it each time.
          If the perm is paying the same as the contract you need to think on whether you will be able to improve your contract rates in the future....and whether that is what is driving you. I've moved form 3rd line support initially to technical/solutions architecture to purposely improve my rate and abstract me somewhat from the intricate details of ever changing tech that I can't, to be quite honest, be @rsed keeping up with. Enterprise architecture next and hopefully just a few frameworks to keep up with that don't change that much.
          Without knowing your skills and requirements I don't think anyone can help you but you got into contracting for a reason as we all did. If the reason is no longer valid you should go perm in my opinion. HTH
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The fact you are so undecided makes me think you are better going permie. Someone that is happy contracting wouldn't even consider it unless it is a pretty stunning offer giving a simple choice.
            This^

...With one caveat: An offer that was merely "very, very good - but not stunning" that was located back in the NW and not in London. That would also tempt me.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              This^

...With one caveat: An offer that was merely "very, very good - but not stunning" that was located back in the NW and not in London. That would also tempt me.
              I just cannot justify a permie role, just couldn't. I don't see how many could. Even if they offered me exactly the same money as I earn contracting, the tax, NI and other bollocks would deter me further, even taking into consideration holiday pay etc. I have a friend, quite senior in management, who earns high 5 figures. He was given a 10k bonus, which he saw about £4500 of. That kind of deters me even more.

Add to that the new projects every now and again, the energy you get from having to sell yourself every 6-36 months, the consistently different work, projects and methods employed and it's almost going to be impossible for me to find a good enough permie role.

Until I am on the bench for 3 years...

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Obviously every person and situation is different and I appreciate people's different reasons for contracting.

Before contracting I was an IT consultant so the frequent change of environment, technology and challenges are something I have always enjoyed. And being a consultant or contractor you do avoid most of the client company politics or rather don't have to care about them.

But when you get an offer like this you have to think if I am being stupid to ignore it. I would have to have no bench-time all year and charge well over 500 to match the income. I could treat it as a contract and consider leaving after e.g 6m, 12m etc but that is not being very honest and last time I started a job to test the waters I didn't leave until 2 years later. At least with contract the mind set is always that it is temporary.

Being a startup (having worked for a few at the start of my career (they all went bust...)) they do offer more autonomy and relaxed settings but also more panic, no resources and without any benefits and custhy frills of big corp permie jobs.

Decisions will have to be made, but my walkabout soul may influence it....
                Last edited by flurdness; 29 February 2012, 16:09.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  For me contracting was initially about the money, but after only a few months it was more about the freedom I have a contractor and the variety of work. Add to the fact that I have no involvement with business politics as well keeps me well happy.
                  I am Spartan-icus!

or more specifically, WHS!

Comment

Working...
                  X