• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accuracy of work record on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    Whether you want to take the risk of the (b) route popping up in conversations/interviews is up to you. But in my opinion simply stating XYD Ltd, January 2000 - January 2007 is not lying. You're simply stating the facts on your CV in the accepted Company Name - Start Date - End Date format.
    I don't quite agree with this. The accepted system is because most jobs fit that format. I don't believe you can plead 'fitting format' for lying on your CV if you got caught. Because it is the accepted format the person reading will also assume it is full time which isn't correct. The right format in the wrong application makes it the wrong format.

For short term stuff I don't see a problem doing this I guess but not a 3 year gap with only sparodic work.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanIan View Post
      ...the main work for them has been for a month or so each year.
      OK I will be more precise.

...and not doing much else for about three years.
      Seemed like a good idea at the time...
      ...as a way of avoiding having to explain a sketchy work history
      I guess it does amount to not being honest on one's CV.
      Rather than me adding anything to the excellent replies you've already had, I decided to reprint what you actually said (...eventually.)

Now read your own words and make a call on how you would view such a CV landing on your desk?
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Rather than me adding anything to the excellent replies you've already had, I decided to reprint what you actually said (...eventually.)

Now read your own words and make a call on how you would view such a CV landing on your desk?
        LOL. Superb post...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          how you would view such a CV landing on your desk?
          I'd say... get that guy's bum on a seat!

Comment

I'd say... get that guy's bum on a seat!
            on a taxi out of here!
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              on a taxi out of here!
              As quickly as possible...

Comment

I'm not trying to excuse myself but this might not be as bad as it sounds... I did spend a fair amount of time during those years studying the latest technologies and upgrading my skills; I even attended a conference. And the work I did for this company was fairly substantial in comparison with stuff I'd done before.

Comment

I'm not trying to excuse myself but this might not be as bad as it sounds
                  Looking forward to this.

... I did spend a fair amount of time during those years studying the latest technologies and upgrading my skills;
                  But no evidence of application... Not useful

I even attended a conference.
                  I got so excited at this I nearly let out a bit of wee

And the work I did for this company was fairly substantial in comparison with stuff I'd done before.
                  And this means what?? Something compared to nothing is substantial. You need to be looking a the timings of it which seems to be the issue here, not the actual work done.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    But no evidence of application... Not useful
                    Yes evidence of application. I used such skills when working for the company that I did work for.

And this means what?? Something compared to nothing is substantial.
                    I meant a substantial project compared to the projects I'd done over the several years before this period. i.e not just odd jobs. I suppose you could read my CV if you wanted to get this in proper perspective.

You need to be looking a the timings of it which seems to be the issue here, not the actual work done
                    Indeed. I was economical with the truth as I've admitted.

I got so excited at this I nearly let out a bit of wee
                    I love this forum.
                    Last edited by IanIan; 27 February 2012, 23:21.

Comment

Working...
                    X