• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I Feel Guilty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Feel Guilty

Seems I have been put forward by two agents for the same job (agent A (big name agency) in location A, agent B (small no name agency) in location B but it seems agent A but me forward for location A and location B) so this has caused a balls up and client are now giving agent A a hard time as only agent B can provide proof (by email) that I want them to represent me.

The way I see it is that agent B was the more proactive as they were the only ones to get back to me with job spec and ask for confirmation of representation, and although even though agent A was putting me forward at a slightly higher rate (£25 a day extra) I feel more comfortable dealing with agent B, the fact agent A pretty much got very shirty with me causing me to hang up on them doesn't help there case.

Should I feel guilty? Yes agent A was first and is spouting about a mans word is his honour, but is it that clear cut? If I get a better vibe, and more personal service from an agent does honour go out the window?
    Insert Witty Signature Here

You shouldn't feel guilty but you should be worried. It happened to me and the client had enough with them fighting and threw my app out. He uses agents to make his life easier not harder.

Your client is now aware of you and you come with baggage so are going to have to hope he can put that aside when it comes to the interview.

Pitching agents against each other and picking which suits you is not good practice IMO. If agent A was first you should stick with him. Ok you have gone with B now and A can't get you the gig but he sure has hell can f' it up for you.

What they 'tell' you they are putting you forward for doesn't mean much. It is what he offers you after is what counts. I don't think this is an indication of anything in most cases.

A is pissed off as he quite rightly has dibs on you and B is nicer to deal with has he has a steal. Figures so can't blame either for that. It would be same if you switched the sitaution around I bet.

I would let it go this time but steer well clear of this scenario again. It could come good, it could come bad. Personally I would like to win a gig on my skills and CV's, not gambling on pitching agents against each other.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zharrt View Post
      Seems I have been put forward by two agents for the same job (agent A (big name agency) in location A, agent B (small no name agency) in location B but it seems agent A but me forward for location A and location B) so this has caused a balls up and client are now giving agent A a hard time as only agent B can provide proof (by email) that I want them to represent me.

The way I see it is that agent B was the more proactive as they were the only ones to get back to me with job spec and ask for confirmation of representation, and although even though agent A was putting me forward at a slightly higher rate (£25 a day extra) I feel more comfortable dealing with agent B, the fact agent A pretty much got very shirty with me causing me to hang up on them doesn't help there case.

Should I feel guilty? Yes agent A was first and is spouting about a mans word is his honour, but is it that clear cut? If I get a better vibe, and more personal service from an agent does honour go out the window?
      Agent A should probably have been clearer about what you were put forward for. I get a reference number from them for all contracts I'm put forward for, to avoid this exact issue. I think in all liklihood the client will drop you to avoid the hassle, but if you can get in through B still then give it a try. Agent A will only hold a grudge until next week, by then they will have forgotten you completely, and come renewal time will be ringing you up with other contracts
      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
      - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
      X