• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company queries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company queries

Hello All,

Finally taking a plunge and starting my own ltd co. I wanted a few clarifications on the below..

1) Since i am renting at the moment, I am not to sure if giving my current residential address would be the best thing to do. Can some one please comment how difficult is it to change your company address?

2) I could move all correspondence to my brothers home, but he has his own ltd company, is that going to been a problem in any way?

3) Worst comes to worst , i can pass my accounting agencies address ( provided as a service for a fee)... but by doing so will i miss out on any other possible claims?

Cheers!

Originally posted by rickom View Post
    Finally taking a plunge and starting my own ltd co. I wanted a few clarifications on the below..
    If you use a rented property as a company address then your landlord is going to go off on one about you running a company from the address and all sorts of nonsense.

Take option 3, get an accountant and let them deal with it all for you. Don't give HMRC your private address AT ALL, even if they ask you what your "business address" is. Make sure they send everything to the accountant.

Whatever you choose to do, it's simple to change your company's registered address.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Cheers mate!

I just have to bite this one

Why is it not advisable to pass your address/personal details to HMRC? If there is a problem in any which case, the lads will follow the bread-crumbs to my door step right?

You do make a good point about the landlord. I did not think in that direction at all.

The reason I asked the above was, I was under the impression , you could pass rent of your accommodation as rent of your company or something on that lines; Summarized as:

1) Start company at home
      2) Pass rent (or a portion of rent) as company running expenses
      3)?????
      4) profit.

Cheers!

Comment

Why is it not advisable to pass your address/personal details to HMRC? If there is a problem in any which case, the lads will follow the bread-crumbs to my door step right?
        Yeah, it's just that they asked me what my "Business address" was and I put down my home address so they start sending me tulip at that address. I wanted them to send EVERYTHING to the accountant - they are paid good money to deal with this stuff for me.

You do make a good point about the landlord. I did not think in that direction at all.
        It may not happen, but some of them do get jumpy.

The reason I asked the above was, I was under the impression , you could pass rent of your accommodation as rent of your company or something on that lines;
        Yes, you may be able to put down a portion of your rent and bills for the use of a home office. Some accountants recommend £3/week (not worth bothering with in my opinion) but you can claim more if you can genuinely justify how you calculated it. If you are renting a room in a shared flat then you will have a tough time claiming that part of the room was a home office to be honest. If you are renting a 2 bedroom flat where one room is a home office then you might have a stronger case.

There are expenses guides out there, you should have a read up on some of them. Don't necessarily trust your accountant to give you good advice - some are better than others. The main things you can claim are travel from home to your workplace and subsistence while at work but understand the 24 month rule.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

When I set up a ltd co while renting, I just asked the landlord if it was ok. He said so long as no clients came to the premises, having it as a registered office and working from home was fine.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You should use option 3 and use your accountant's address as your registered office if you don't want to use your private address.

Most accountants will be happy to do this and thebenefit to you is that you don't get all the junk mail letters and your accountant should foward on any thing that is relvant.

Be aware some accountants do charge extra for this service, so may be worth asking your accountant this if you have one?

On the use of home as office most £3 per week is what i as an accountant would reccommend unless you can prove that you spend a significant amount of time and have large percentage floor space as an office in your accommodation.

Maybe your fall into one of these catergories as described by the HMRC link

Specific deductions: use of home: examples

My advice speak to an accountant as they can office you advice on what expenses you can have and answer any questions you may have on company set etc.

Welcome to the world of owing your Ltd

Comment

Your company's registered address and your trading address can be different.

People like HRMC VAT and your business bank will contact you at your trading address i.e. the place where you are living.

There as on your website footer and email footer you should use your registered address. This also means if someone wants to send you another sort of letter i.e. junk mail they will contact you at your registered address.

So if your landlord complains about your receiving official looking letters you have a problem as the directors' home addresses always needs to go to Company's House plus others like your business bank.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X