• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracted hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    LOL! This just proves what mongs some permie managers \ HR types are. They'd rather you work less hours, by the book etc and pay instead of some give and take where you'd deliver more and probably cheaper (if you didnt previously bill for weekends!).
    Didn't need to do weekends before, now the overall project is slipping the tasks are piling up.

The permies and Base3 chappies have been instructed to put extra hours in. A couple of the contractors have buckled under pressure and done the goodwill thing, the rest of us make sure we're compensated

They were also asking if we'd go in on Boxing Day as the testers don't celebrate Xmas so they're scared defects will mount up, and would we mind not taking Xmas week off. If they'd been a bit mature and flexible about things I'd consider it, as it is I finish next Friday until the New Year.
    Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
      Didn't need to do weekends before, now the overall project is slipping the tasks are piling up.

The permies and Base3 chappies have been instructed to put extra hours in. A couple of the contractors have buckled under pressure and done the goodwill thing, the rest of us make sure we're compensated

They were also asking if we'd go in on Boxing Day as the testers don't celebrate Xmas so they're scared defects will mount up, and would we mind not taking Xmas week off. If they'd been a bit mature and flexible about things I'd consider it, as it is I finish next Friday until the New Year.
      Exactly. Clients dont seem to realise that asking nicely and being fair goes a long way (it does with me anyway).

If someone gives me notice, sorts out that I'll get paid, doesnt act like a twat when I want to leave early one day, then I'll do my best to accomodate.

However, when they whinge that I left at 4pm (despite working till 7pm the previous 4 nights) or tells me its urgent that I'm available for Saturday work at 5-15pm on a Friday, then dont bother to get it authorised then I get pissed off!

Even more so when they make out I'm being unflexible because I say no because I've got personal commitments now (wife's a nurse and works weekend shifts sometimes so I've got the kids to look after). Even though I've told them this 10 times before about how it works and even if shes working if they give me notice I might be able to sort out a babysitter (5-15pm Friday no chance!)

Current client isnt too bad but does display some of these tendencies....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I did a twelve hour day yesterday as we were doing a release so I'm kind of out of goodwill at the moment, but as I'm on a day rate I'm not sure where it leaves me it's meant to be a 37.5 hr week but I can't say I've worked a week less than 42 hrs.

Are hourly contracts rare?
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          I did a twelve hour day yesterday as we were doing a release so I'm kind of out of goodwill at the moment, but as I'm on a day rate I'm not sure where it leaves me it's meant to be a 37.5 hr week but I can't say I've worked a week less than 42 hrs.

Used to be all hourly (for my thing anyway) 10+ years ago so I was surprised coming back to contracting to see it was mostly day rates these days.

12 hour day. Hmmm. Wouldnt do that too often unless they dont mind reciprocating now and then with some short days when it suited me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post

BTW. Where in Wales are you? I'll try to avoid that client !!!!!! :-)

Comment

Working...
            X