• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This is a no brainer then. You have the following options..

a) Take a contract 13% less than another, deskilling you with notice problems...

b)Leave and get everything you want and 25% increase.

Jesus, what the hell is there to think about there...unless it is all talk??
    I don't think that they are cut out for contracting.

What do you think?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Jesus, what the hell is there to think about there.
      if only it were that simple.....have to renew contract by tomorrow......IF i do get this other position wont get it until i've renewed the contract.....if i dont renew no guarantees that i will get the other role..........if i do get the position then will be difficult to weasel out of renewal as the contract doesn't specify a notice period......

Comment

Obviously depending on your exact situation financially this is what I would do -

It seems like your assuming they won't budge on notice period as someone esle did not get it but have you actually asked.

I would use the negotiation/notice period as the decider.

Say you will take the contract based on a notice period going in the same as the company notice period, if they say no then say I'm off then if that can't be done.

If thats it then decision made for me, if not and they agree then I have notice and can still look elsewhere and in either case this may drag it out a few more days also.

Comment

If you want to get really desperate, then use the line

The people that I get to review my contracts have advised that not having a reciprocal notice period in the contract would be an IR35 pointer, and I wouldn't want to open the client to any unnecessary risk that they might be part of an investigation
          Of course, as I said in post 2, you can always get out using the MOO clause without needing to give notice, but most agencies and clients don't understand that.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by yamamma View Post
            I work for a financial organisation. Been there for over 12 months, however with the latest renewal they have put in 2 week notice period in case they want to get rid of me but no mention of a notice period if I want to quit. Previous contracts were always mutual ie 2 weeks for both parties. I am looking around at the moment and might be in a position where I might want to leave mid contract? However since the current contract doesn't state a notice period, does this mean I can only leave at the end of the contract? Can they stop me from leaving mid contract if I give sufficient time for a handover etc? If they prevent me from leaving, what if I just say I'm too stressed to work - I quit?
            If you have not yet signed the new, unacceptable contract, then terminate per the existing terms and go for the next +25% opportunity. I don't honestly see what's difficult about that. If they won't budge on their demands, simply do not accept them. I suspect it's too late though and either by signing or by default (just turning up) that you have already accepted the new terms.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              If you want to get really desperate, then use the line

Of course, as I said in post 2, you can always get out using the MOO clause without needing to give notice, but most agencies and clients don't understand that.
              I like that......that's been saved to NVRAM....

Comment

I always love the "I could get 25% more somewhere else" argument, if it was that easy why you hanging around where you are
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I always love the "I could get 25% more somewhere else" argument, if it was that easy why you hanging around where you are
                  Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                  X