• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help...agency hell!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No, you're not.

If the employee and the umbrella both opt out of the agency regulations, in writing, before being introduced to the client, then you can be opted out legitimately. To imply that being through an umbrella makes you automatically inside is a myth.

(For the record, I think the OP is inside the regulations, as are most contractors, as I doubt that the opt out was done properly if at all)
    Maybe it's me just being naive and having little to do with umbrellas but surely it'd be hugely difficult for an umbrella to effectively opt-out a contractor. Most contractors don't get into detailed enough discussions with agencies until far too late in the process for an opt-out to be anything other than a waste of time, umbrellas especially as they often don't get involved until contract negotiations right at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
      Maybe it's me just being naive and having little to do with umbrellas but surely it'd be hugely difficult for an umbrella to effectively opt-out a contractor. Most contractors don't get into detailed enough discussions with agencies until far too late in the process for an opt-out to be anything other than a waste of time, umbrellas especially as they often don't get involved until contract negotiations right at the end.
      I guess it depends on when the umbrella gets involved. If you have been with an umbrella for a while, then it's possible for them to have worked this out early on in the relationship and get it sorted.

It's possible, but I agree that it's unlikely. So few agents understand it anyway, I think that the number of people who are genuinely opted out (whether Ltd or umbrella) is incredibly small. I've only ever had one agent ask before sending the CV over, and even then they didn't get anything in writing before doing so.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X