• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exclusivity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclusivity

Hi all

So about 2 weeks ago I received a call from Agency A to forward me to a client of thiers but they told me to give them exclusivity which I did by email. However in these last 2 weeks, I have not heard anything from them, after also sending them 2 emails to see what is going on.

Now Agency B have approached me for the same client, and I told them that I gave exclusivity to Agency A, however its has been already 2 weeks since I have not received any feedback from Agency A. Now they want to represent me exclusively themselves by going into an email agreement.

How do you guys go about this exclusivity issue? Should I do it? I was going to reply back and tell him to give him exclusivity for 2 weeks, and if I do not get any feedback, then I can go with someone else.

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
    Hi all

So about 2 weeks ago I received a call from Agency A to forward me to a client of thiers but they told me to give them exclusivity which I did by email. However in these last 2 weeks, I have not heard anything from them, after also sending them 2 emails to see what is going on.

Now Agency B have approached me for the same client, and I told them that I gave exclusivity to Agency A, however its has been already 2 weeks since I have not received any feedback from Agency A. Now they want to represent me exclusively themselves by going into an email agreement.

How do you guys go about this exclusivity issue? Should I do it? I was going to reply back and tell him to give him exclusivity for 2 weeks, and if I do not get any feedback, then I can go with someone else.
    this
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      this
      that
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

this
        With one exception. If they're contracting directly with the client on an already existing agreement or have authority from the client to find a contractor then I'll happily give them a week or so of exclusivity. If they're in a chain of agents or don't convince me of the prior sentence then I usually ask more questions around whether they're just speculatively submitting me; I don't mind on the odd occasion for a role I'd truly no idea was out there but they're not getting exclusivity beyond a day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          With one exception. If they're contracting directly with the client on an already existing agreement or have authority from the client to find a contractor then I'll happily give them a week or so of exclusivity. If they're in a chain of agents or don't convince me of the prior sentence then I usually ask more questions around whether they're just speculatively submitting me; I don't mind on the odd occasion for a role I'd truly no idea was out there but they're not getting exclusivity beyond a day or two.
          The problem is how would you know that they are the preferred agency of the client? Everyone says that actually.

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
            The problem is how would you know that they are the preferred agency of the client? Everyone says that actually.
            Get it in writing. Here's an example I routinely stick to my confirmation email:

"I commit to giving Agency X exclusive rights to market me to Client Y for one calendar week on the condition that they have pre-arranged authority from Client Y to present contractors to them for this role. This exclusivity only applies once Agency X commits by email that they have that authority."

Comment

the only problem with that is the following scenario

"Dear Craig we hereby confirm that we (agent x) have authority to market you to client Y.
              kind regards
              Gel Boy"

Gel Boy then gets better candidate (who commands a lower rate) on the phone and markets them to Client Y knowing you're gonna do nothing for a week

OR

Gel Boy then uses you to try and get on Client Y's PSL and if he fails after 1 week, meh, he tried.

meanwhile the real PSL Agent of Client Y phones up cr@p candidate and submits it to Client Y who mull over it for 6 days and finally accept it as there is nothing better coming from the PSL agent.
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

"Dear Craig we hereby confirm that we (agent x) have authority to market you to client Y.
                kind regards
                Gel Boy"

Gel Boy then gets better candidate (who commands a lower rate) on the phone and markets them to Client Y knowing you're gonna do nothing for a week

OR

Gel Boy then uses you to try and get on Client Y's PSL and if he fails after 1 week, meh, he tried.

meanwhile the real PSL Agent of Client Y phones up cr@p candidate and submits it to Client Y who mull over it for 6 days and finally accept it as there is nothing better coming from the PSL agent.
                Aye... that's the problem. There's really only so much you can do to sift out the dross agencies and speculative roles. Generally though, an agent will often refuse to put that confirmation in email if they're not on the PSL.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                  Get it in writing. Here's an example I routinely stick to my confirmation email:

"I commit to giving Agency X exclusive rights to market me to Client Y for one calendar week on the condition that they have pre-arranged authority from Client Y to present contractors to them for this role. This exclusivity only applies once Agency X commits by email that they have that authority."
                  Good tip Craig, although in the current market, I am sure they will do everything they can.

Comment

kind regards
                    Gel Boy"

OR

SOOO much this. I was just having a rant not an hour ago about an agency that I am pretty certain does this CV gathering exercise as standard practice, then only passes a very small number of them on. Hard to be 100% sure but you do get a feeling for which agents are OK and which are just piss takers.
                    Thanks given - 0
                    Thanks received - 0
                    Likes given - 0
                    Likes received - 0
                    F*cks given - 0

Comment

Working...
                    X