• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xmas time bargain hunter agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas time bargain hunter agents

Anyone seen this before around Christmas time?
    I've had two agency phone calls in the last month that went very similar.

Agent phones up to talk about a short term contract that would see a contractor through to the new year. They say it is only until the new year but 'may' get extended into the new year. No detail of the project is given, other than what client does and where it is based. Agent uses a hard sell approach to get you interested, repeatedly making a point about how Christmas is an expensive time and how some money is better than no money. This is where the alarm bells started ringing for me.

You eventually ask about rates, and they reluctantly reveal a laughably low figure.

Is this a well known trick to get desperate contractors into a role on a bargain low rate, that will actually carry on well into the new year?

I am not aware of it being a well known trick per se but if you are talking about agents offering lower rates at the quietest time of the year for us I would call that business not a trick.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      You eventually ask about rates, and they reluctantly reveal a laughably low figure.
      The rate should be the first thing you ask about.

I always bring it up as one of the first questions. When they grumble about me not even knowing the job description I point out that if the rate isn't in the right ball park then there is no point in us wasting each other's time. If they can quote a rate (or range) then I'll decide if we should continue or if they should be looking for someone more junior/senior/local for the role.

Of course that doesn't stop them blabbering on and trying to offer me a rubbish rate or permie job on the off chance that I'll take it. I guess that the odd time people do take it so it's worth their while.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I am not aware of it being a well known trick per se but if you are talking about agents offering lower rates at the quietest time of the year for us I would call that business not a trick.
        Rates really are low at this time of year - a few weeks ago they were a lot higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          The rate should be the first thing you ask about.

I always bring it up as one of the first questions.
          I know I should, but I get some kind of pleasure out of leading them on for a while before hitting them with the bad news.

This is especially fun with the younger sounding gel haired barrow-boy agents.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Rates really are low at this time of year - a few weeks ago they were a lot higher.
            What a load of tripe. The odd agent may try it on , but no contractor worth their salt is going to take a significant rate cut because santa's on his way. The fact rates have been in decline for many years is another matter. If rates jump in the new year, I'll eat snow with the fairies.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Of course that doesn't stop them blabbering on and trying to offer me a rubbish rate or permie job on the off chance that I'll take it. I guess that the odd time people do take it so it's worth their while.
              This has been the most common theme I've experienced in last couple of years.

I'm wise to it now of course, usually the first question they ask is if I'm looking for work and if I am I say "Yes, I am looking for contract roles in {my location}" - this usually brings the conversation to an end quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                I'm wise to it now of course, usually the first question they ask is if I'm looking for work and if I am I say "Yes, I am looking for contract roles in {my location}" - this usually brings the conversation to an end quite quickly.
                It amazes me how many times the agent doesn't simply clear off. Some of them are so hopeful that they can turn you around and convince you to go permanent.

I once had an agent demand to know why I wouldn't go permanent, in complete disbelief that there was any disadvantage. Where do you start?

Comment

Working...
                X