• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to all this and a bit of advice required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC/DV is good to have. Probably Solaris skills would be better than the Windows stuff.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Hate to be picky, but DV may expire as soon as you leave the Service unless you have a need for it. You don't get the same grace periods as you do with the lower levels. Check with your SSO.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Hate to be picky, but DV may expire as soon as you leave the Service unless you have a need for it. You don't get the same grace periods as you do with the lower levels. Check with your SSO.
        I am in the process of having my DV transferred. Everything is in hand for this. Due to having to leave the forces for unseen circumstances the seniority are doing there best to make things as easy as possible for life on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by BashSpeight View Post
          I am in the process of having my DV transferred. Everything is in hand for this. Due to having to leave the forces for unseen circumstances the seniority are doing there best to make things as easy as possible for life on the outside.
          I thought that you were cleared for a specific role rather than being cleared in general. If you haven't got a role to go to, who are they transferring the DV to?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            That is generally what I thought but have seen this before...

Is there a requirement to re-vet people that rejoin within a year of leaving, other than in exceptional circumstances?
            There is no requirement to re-vet staff that rejoin within a year of leaving, other than in exceptional circumstances. Where a security clearance needs to be transferred the receiving Personnel authority/company should phone the DBS NSV Helpdesk (01904 662644) at the outset to find out whether an individual holds a clearance and to initiate the transfer.
            from

Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Security and Intelligence | DBS National Security Vetting | The Vetting Process

so it appears that it does have an element of flexibility around it that I didn't think it did.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I thought that you were cleared for a specific role rather than being cleared in general. If you haven't got a role to go to, who are they transferring the DV to?
              Hmm, if you've already been DV vetted then getting it again for some future role isn't going to be a big job for the vetting agency, is it. I mean, they will have already been through all the life history and "I stole a sweetie when I was 5 years old" stuff so it will just be doing a credit check and looking to see if you've joined the Taliban in the last 6 months or whatever, won't it?
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Hmm, if you've already been DV vetted then getting it again for some future role isn't going to be a big job for the vetting agency, is it. I mean, they will have already been through all the life history and "I stole a sweetie when I was 5 years old" stuff so it will just be doing a credit check and looking to see if you've joined the Taliban in the last 6 months or whatever, won't it?
                Not always. Some places dont accept others DV's, so it has to be done pretty much from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  SC also limits the availablility of the role to British nationals, so 'bob' factor not an issue.
                  Not true, I know many non-British people with clearance.

Comment

A friend of mine who left the Royal Signals with no real world experience got snapped up pretty quickly and he had a similar level of clearance as you. His main gripe now is that the work is similar to what he did in uniform (although the pay is better even though he was asked to go perm after six months) and is looking for a new challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                      Not true, I know many non-British people with clearance.
                      But with at least five years UK residency...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X