• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start day delayed although contract signed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start day delayed although contract signed

Hello,

So my signed a contract which states that he is starting on Thursday however the agent told him that the laptop and security passes are not ready yet so we are looking for a Monday or Tuesday start.
    He has signed the contract with the agency, do they have the right to cancel it before my friend starts work?

Thanks.

Originally posted by kellycell View Post
    Hello,

So my signed a contract which states that he is starting on Thursday however the agent told him that the laptop and security passes are not ready yet so we are looking for a Monday or Tuesday start.
    He has signed the contract with the agency, do they have the right to cancel it before my friend starts work?

Thanks.
    They're hardly cancelling the contract - they have put the start date back by two to three working days. Not really comparable.

There is a contract in place to do work between two dates. If there is no work done, then there is no payment. So, they are perfectly within their rights to say not to come in on a given date, and you don't get paid for that day.

Explain to the agency that if there is a significant delay to the start of the contract, then you will see this as a breach of condition rather than a breach of warranty and will be terminating the contract.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You seem to ask a lot of questions on behalf of your friends, most of which just need some common sense applying to them. Why are they always asking you and not posting on here themselves?

Are they 'invisible friends' that talk to you and adults can't see?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kellycell View Post
        Hello,

Thanks.
        It happened to me before - in fact I bet alot on here have had this. Enjoy the extra break. It will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kellycell
          contract states that he is starting on Thursday however the agent told him that the laptop and security passes are not ready yet so we are looking for a Monday or Tuesday start.
          TheFaQQer is technically correct about the breach of contract though I'd only do this if I got some other offer came in and they were messing about for weeks. If it's just a few days then just roll with it. When you're self employed you have to accept a bit of downtime and if you are working multiple jobs then you are bound to get messed about on start dates from time to time.

Hell, I took on a permie job once and they delayed my starting date by 6 bloody weeks and there wasn't bugger all I could do about it.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            TheFaQQer is technically correct about the breach of contract though I'd only do this if I got some other offer came in and they were messing about for weeks. If it's just a few days then just roll with it.
            That's what I meant to convey - a few days isn't much, really.

I waited 6 weeks for my SC to get ported over, and then they pulled the plug because they shifted work between different suppliers. That was somewhat frustrating, as I'd kind of stopped looking - a four year project, and I'd got the role, after all.....
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X