• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekend work - charge or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think 2nd one is better option, some times goodwill carries more value than money.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      client asked if I was willing to be available to help with something important this weekend if the need arose. I said yeh OK and said if it didnt take long no worries, but would it be acceptable to bill if it was substantial. Client agreed in email that yes I could book time.
      Was it something that that you were responsible for that went wrong? If so then I'd be inclined to fix it as a gesture of goodwill as a point of principle (as an aside, mistakes rectified on your own time is good for IR35).

If it was pre-arranged that you could bill for it (agreed in writing) and the time was substantial (which it was) then go right ahead and bill for it. I'd suggest a half day if it was done and dusted in 3 hours or a whole day if you were on standby for the whole duration. If you don't bill then they will start expecting you to work ad-hoc without getting paid.

That's my opinion, there are lots of others offered here. Good luck choosing.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        If you don't bill then they will start expecting you to work ad-hoc without getting paid.
        Setting a very bad precedent. Bill it, you know you want to.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Setting a very bad precedent. Bill it, you know you want to.
          Especially as there is written agreement that it's billable. I think a business person would look a bit silly if they didn't bill....
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            Was it something that that you were responsible for that went wrong? If so then I'd be inclined to fix it as a gesture of goodwill as a point of principle (as an aside, mistakes rectified on your own time is good for IR35).

If it was pre-arranged that you could bill for it (agreed in writing) and the time was substantial (which it was) then go right ahead and bill for it. I'd suggest a half day if it was done and dusted in 3 hours or a whole day if you were on standby for the whole duration. If you don't bill then they will start expecting you to work ad-hoc without getting paid.

That's my opinion, there are lots of others offered here. Good luck choosing.
            Nope. None of my doing. Badly planned client project that has run over....

Yes, got email from PM saying I could bill.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X