• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am bored!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tips guys. There is definitely more I could do in terms of benefits and risks etc.

Perhaps I might start bidding for work on peopleperhour.com too I can keep busy

One of the main problems is that the PM is demotivated and sometimes negative about the project so my enthusiasm is not always well received. I appreciate the suggestion to avoid looking bored.

Comment

Spent a long time on contract bored but no guarantee that perm work is any better. Have repeatedly approached clientco managers to indicate happy to take on new responsibilities and that I have considerable percentage of free time. This has resulted in some changes and now moving into another area but my conscience (such as it is) is clear and I work a steady 9-4. Course, I am johnny keen when any requests do come in and am never too busy or not sure it’s my job etc
      Does not seem to have had any impact on renewals and asked for a 10% rate rise at the last one and got it !
      Why the hell are you still there ? Even if I am only doing half a persons job, they would still have to find someone to do that half and everyone claims to be ‘too busy’ if asked. Funny old game this contracting lark…

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
        Thanks for the tips guys. There is definitely more I could do in terms of benefits and risks etc.

Perhaps I might start bidding for work on peopleperhour.com too I can keep busy
        Becareful bidding ofr PPH while you are on client site. Doing any work for another client is risky at best.

Spent a long time on contract bored but no guarantee that perm work is any better. Have repeatedly approached clientco managers to indicate happy to take on new responsibilities and that I have considerable percentage of free time. This has resulted in some changes and now moving into another area but my conscience (such as it is) is clear and I work a steady 9-4. Course, I am johnny keen when any requests do come in and am never too busy or not sure it’s my job etc
        Does not seem to have had any impact on renewals and asked for a 10% rate rise at the last one and got it !
        Hope you are saving your money because you might as well spend some of that spare time painting a huge target on your forehead and ringing HMRC to see if they want a shot. I couldn't describe the responsibilities and actions of a permie better.

You are not happy to take on new responsibilities. You are happy to have a new job desc/SoW and document it in your contract. Without this you are being directed by your client. You have a new role that is not in relation to your contract. In fact you sound more permie than the permies. At least they would sit there and be bored.

Aside for that indicating to your client you have considerable free time is a very risky move. When the axe does finally come you have positioned your neck nicely on the block there.

As good as it sounds, being proactive at a client is not always the best move. Remember you are a business supplying a service. Not a permie looking for a work. There is a huge difference.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X