• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

something that I've noticed… Can you shed some light on it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something that I've noticed… Can you shed some light on it?

hi,

Hoping someone can help me with something that I've noticed recently.

I've just got a call from an agent regarding the role, we have just agreed all the important things such as rate etc; but he has asked me to write him in e-mail confirming that his agency will be representing me.

I've noticed over the last few months that a number of agencies that I have spoken to have asked me to Perform this particular request – and it makes me extremely wary as to why.

Am I being overly paranoid to agreeing to something that may come back and bite me on the butt later?

Thanks

This happens to me as well...

I was told this is to make sure there is no confusion about which agency claims the fee (when you say yes to two or more agencies)

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
      This happens to me as well...

I was told this is to make sure there is no confusion about which agency claims the fee (when you say yes to two or more agencies)
      WHS. Belt and braces by the agency to ensure they have a clien run with the client, and not all that uncommon. Doesn't affect you in the slightest unless you're applying for the same role with different agencies. And if you do, then you'll have to pick which one.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This is how my FAQ for recruiters addresses this one:

"7) Are you willing to confirm in writing that we can present you to the client on an exclusive basis?
        Yes on the understanding that I can have (within 12 hours) a written and unambiguous confirmation that my CV has gone to the end client (and not just the account manager within the agency)."

Comment

Even if not asked for that, I always follow up calls where I've agreed for the agent to send on my CV with a note giving them explicit permission to represent me in application for the role. I take the opportunity to clarify what I've agreed with them, including expected rates (or rate range), location, role and client name. Removes ambiguity when discussing the finer details if I'm successful and reassures the agent that I'm not going to go flog on their client details to another agent I'd prefer to work though.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
            Even if not asked for that, I always follow up calls where I've agreed for the agent to send on my CV with a note giving them explicit permission to represent me in application for the role. I take the opportunity to clarify what I've agreed with them, including expected rates (or rate range), location, role and client name. Removes ambiguity when discussing the finer details if I'm successful and reassures the agent that I'm not going to go flog on their client details to another agent I'd prefer to work though.
            This is a great way to do it.

The origins of this, are that *Shock Horror* , contractors have as bad a reputation amongst agents, as agents do amongst contractors. All it does, is make clear that your application is being dealt with by the agent you have given permission to, and gives it a time and date stamp. If two agencies then try and claim the fees, then the one who will come out on top, will be the one who has written permission.

It also goes some way to proving your commitment to finding a new contract (as this permission takes a moment of your time - people who aren't bothered, won't bother).

I tend to work on trust (without this email trail) but I know most of the people I would represent personally. That said, I left a database of my network at a previous employer, and so every now and again, I have to get this "permission" before submission, because otherwise, my previous employers have a habit of scattergunning CV's around and claiming them as their own!
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post

"7) Are you willing to confirm in writing that we can present you to the client on an exclusive basis?
              Yes on the understanding that I can have (within 12 hours) a written and unambiguous confirmation that my CV has gone to the end client (and not just the account manager within the agency)."
              WHoTS.

I do this now as well as asking any pimp who phones me whether they are the person making the decision to 'submit' me for the role or, my cv is just being passed to an account manager to decide.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                WHoTS.

I do this now as well as asking any pimp who phones me whether they are the person making the decision to 'submit' me for the role or, my cv is just being passed to an account manager to decide.
                Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post

That's well put.

Is there a time limit on them putting you forward to the client? ie, if you authorise them to put you forward to client X and then 3 months later you re-apply to the same client through a different agency, does the original agency still have exclusive rights to representing you?
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                  X