• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone doing a stint at Bank of America?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone doing a stint at Bank of America?

Just wondering whether anyone is or has recently done a stint at the Bank of America in Chester.

There is something lined up there for me, but the 'red tape' surrounding getting the contract signed off is worrying me slightly.

I'm aware they are selling the UK arm of the business and this role isn't likely to roll on for years, but I'd be interested in any views about the current situation there...

PM me if you like.

Cheers!

Not there, but starting another contract for an IB next Monday, think my interview with them was around 7-8 weeks ago. Was told in 2 days that the contract was mine, then 5 weeks of their HR/PMO getting signoff, then another 2 weeks doing credit checks etc. Never had anything like this length of time in 15 years of contracting.

Comment

BOA

1. My wife worked at the Chester office - she liked it, nice building and set-up

2. I worked as a contractor at Merrils then BoA - as IB's go, nice place. Get the usal tossers who think that Wall Street is a training guide but generally nice.

The credit checks etc take ages. Mate just got a job there and 3 weeks in still waiting for a start date!

Comment

Originally posted by scorepredicta View Post
        Not there, but starting another contract for an IB next Monday, think my interview with them was around 7-8 weeks ago. Was told in 2 days that the contract was mine, then 5 weeks of their HR/PMO getting signoff, then another 2 weeks doing credit checks etc. Never had anything like this length of time in 15 years of contracting.
        I was there for a year, just finishing in summer.
        It was my first time working for a bank and as a developer, it's hard to get things through. Their test managers seem (well, for the project I was on) to be either overworked or incompetant and nothing was tested until we went live and then any issues were thrown back at the development team which wasn't great.

It's in a nice part of Chester - easy to get to off the dual carriageway, although parking can be a problem if you get there after 9am.

There's an on-site gym which contractors can join after 3 months for £27 a month, which is pretty good and the site itself has loads of footy fields / nature walks through it for sunny lunchtimes.

There's a couple of restaurants, although the main Cafe Roger is the one you'll probably use, unless you're in the Telephone phase. Breakfasts are cheap and varied, and lunches are great - there's a burger bar / noodle bar / deli / chef's theatre and other areas with different food.

They run a completely cashless site, so you have to charge a dining card, and there's no refund when you leave!!

Dress code was business casual - shirt (no tie) and trousers. They operate a flexi time system, which was great. There's very little pub-drinking at lunch as everything is offsite and noone seems to go off-site at all, although there's a free bus into Chester and back (and in mornings / afternoons) for staff as well as an on-site shuttle bus to take you to the various phases / buildings.

All in all, a good gig - I'd happily go back except for the distance. It was 70 miles each way for me each day - just not far enough to warrant a hotel stay, but far enough to get boring driving all the time.
        Last edited by manclarky; 27 September 2011, 15:16. Reason: mistake
        And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
          Dress code was business casual - shirt, no tie and trousers.
          Not tie and trousers?? Must have been a tad chilly working there??
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Not tie and trousers?? Must have been a tad chilly working there??
            Darn - thanks for noticing.

I've edited
            And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Working...
            X