• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long can you work for your client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can you work for your client?

Hi All,

I run a LTD IT company (IT contractor). I have been with my client for 7months and wanted to know how long can you keep your contract with your client? There is alot of work and im in demand here I think they may extend my contract here for another 6months+.. The concern i have in my mind is opportunity of losing out on more money in other contracts. Also being in contract with my client for so long may raise alarm bells with tax people.

Any thoughts??

Originally posted by New2011 View Post
    Hi All,

I run a LTD IT company (IT contractor). I have been with my client for 7months and wanted to know how long can you keep your contract with your client? There is alot of work and im in demand here I think they may extend my contract here for another 6months+.. The concern i have in my mind is opportunity of losing out on more money in other contracts. Also being in contract with my client for so long may raise alarm bells with tax people.

Any thoughts??
    You can work for a client for as long as you want to or as long as they want you to.

If you think you can earn more money elsewhere then dont accept the extension and look for another gig.

Hector might like to think that working for the same client for an extended period ( talking years now) might be a pointer to employment status but afaik none of the accepted wisdom on this agrees with him. As long as working conditions and contract terms are clear that you are contactor not an employee you can carry on as long as you want.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

One place I contracted at in 2001 had a telecoms contractor in, he'd been there for over 5 byears by the time I got there. He's still there and still a contractor. He accepts that he's fully within IR35 but he's earning about the same as the IT director so doesn't care. Suits him perfectly.

Comment

I've got a friend who's contracted for the same company for 12 years....

Comment

There's a chap at BT had been there for 17 years in 2006! so He has probably made 20 by now as he ran a bespoke system and no-one had the guts to move him on...

The simple answer is you can stay as long as you want as long as you don't make enemies and don't get a rep for breaking stuff good luck and happy billing.

Comment

Working...
          X