• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - Open a pharmacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    Their unique point is that they're open until after 9pm most nights and open at an indecent time in the morning while the other pharmacies nearby all shut by 6. This means that those of us with jobs can get to a pharmacy out of hours without having to bother going out of our way to a supermarket. They also do prescription pickup runs to the GP surgeries in a decent radius.
    There is a local pharmacy near me that appears to be 24/7, when the shop is shut if you pop round the back and ring the bell somone will come down and sort your prescriptions anytime of the night, which is handy if you want your methodone in a hurry

Comment

Have you actually checked what qualifications you need to be a pharmacist? It's not just a shop you know. If you don't have them you will have to employ someone to have them and I think you will find the cost model won't support this. There won't be enough profit to pay the key positions and then skim anything else off for yourself unless it is incredibly successful. If there were everyone would be doing it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Have you actually checked what qualifications you need to be a pharmacist? It's not just a shop you know. If you don't have them you will have to employ someone to have them and I think you will find the cost model won't support this. There won't be enough profit to pay the key positions and then skim anything else off for yourself unless it is incredibly successful. If there were everyone would be doing it.
        Did you read the entire initial post.

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        2) By coincidence I have several family and friends who have graduated as pharmacists (including other half)
        So I think he might know what is required.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Have you actually checked what qualifications you need to be a pharmacist?
          I think in this case it will be Mrs NorthWestPerm2Contr who will be the shop pharmacist.

It's not just a shop you know. If you don't have them you will have to employ someone to have them and I think you will find the cost model won't support this. There won't be enough profit to pay the key positions and then skim anything else off for yourself unless it is incredibly successful. If there were everyone would be doing it.
          From the independent pharmacies I've been in they tend to be family run with 2-3 pharmacists* (1 old git and 2 younger members) for the shop so they can cover long opening hours and compete against the Supermarkets, Boots and GP surgeries that have pharmacies attached.

Some of them also have family members or have to employ people part-time to work behind the shop counter.

So you are looking at quite a few staff or working very long hours to make this work.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I think in this case it will be Mrs NorthWestPerm2Contr who will be the shop pharmacist.

From the independent pharmacies I've been in they tend to be family run with 2-3 pharmacists* (1 old git and 2 younger members) for the shop so they can cover long opening hours and compete against the Supermarkets, Boots and GP surgeries that have pharmacies attached.

Some of them also have family members or have to employ people part-time to work behind the shop counter.

So you are looking at quite a few staff or working very long hours to make this work.
            Indeed, nobody said it was going to be easy. However, given my circumstance wouldn't this be the sensible option?

What PAH said has got me thinking.... I would love to be able to make money being sat next to a pool but how feasible is that and how lucky do you have to be to land such an opportunity?

I just can't think of a good plan B which is feasible.

Comment

I'd take a look at the listings on Daltons Weekly to get an idea of figures involved first.

IMHO, to make any real money, you really need to have a few pharmacies to make any real money so your first step should be with that in mind.

My suggestion, would be to make a list of the GP surgeries in your area and then see if any of them don't have a pharmacy on their doorstep and if one can be setup.

Failing that, a bit of a stretch, see if any of them are in the process of moving location due to, for example, a need for more space and see if there will be a pharmacy on the doorstep of the new location.

Just my tuppence worth.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                So I think he might know what is required.

Obviously not else he would not be asking the question on here would he? Have your coat back.

family and friends who have graduated as pharmacists (including other half) <> the knowledge required to open a pharmacy.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Obviously not else he would not be asking the question on here would he? Have your coat back.

family and friends who have graduated as pharmacists (including other half) <> the knowledge required to open a pharmacy.
                  I think he is using us as a sounding board to see if we can point out any issues or potential issues he hasn't already thought about.

Having people a distance removed raising issues means that you are likely to see questions and issues you haven't previously thought about.

One additional issue may be wholesale suppliers. Do you know who they are and what are their rules and requirements before they supply you.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I think he is using us as a sounding board to see if we can point out any issues or potential issues he hasn't already thought about.

Having people a distance removed raising issues means that you are likely to see questions and issues you haven't previously thought about.

One additional issue may be wholesale suppliers. Do you know who they are and what are their rules and requirements before they supply you.
                    cant see the harm in getting other people's views on issues. However much you know and have researched, others will always have other information and viewpoints. No point being arrogant in what you think you know...

Comment

Supermarkets - starting to provide Pharmacy/prescriptions

Hi -

not wanting to rain on anybodies parade - but near where I live - Tesco / Sainsbury have embedded Chemist/Pharmacies in their stores.

We still have a Pharmacy on the Village High Street (which I prefer to use myself) - but I don't believe Supermarkets would take a punt on Licenses/Stock/Staff etc without doing the research to show it would be profitable.

A quick Google on "SuperMarket Pharmacies" returns quite a few articles.

If I were you - I'd look at the area where you are, Number of Doctors Surgeries you would be serving/catchement area etc.

Like I said - not wanting to rain on your idea - and with your other half already a Pharmacist - better placed than most to find out the info/viability etc.

Maybe partnerships with GP's in your area would be something to look at - (repeat prescriptions sent to your shop perhaps ....)

Regards,

seyre

seyre

Comment

Working...
                      X