• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

umbrella expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umbrella expenses

Hello

For those using an umbrella company, what is the situation with unreceipted expenses? Can you claim a daily subsistence dept. on how long you're out of the house for?

My quote from 4 umbrellas was based on an estimate, incorporating these unreceipted expenses. Can anyone shed light in this confusing situation? Some umbrellas say they can process unreceipted, some say they can't...

you may wanna try posting the question in one section

btw - dont be lazy - get yourself a real company or are you only a plastic contractor?
    "Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is."
    - PJ O'Rourke

Comment

Fair cop captain....

Is it a better option to start your own limited, even for a 3 month contract?

Assuming you're commited to an umbrella, are they bluffing with these expenses or what?

Comment

Originally posted by scottik
        Hello

For those using an umbrella company, what is the situation with unreceipted expenses? Can you claim a daily subsistence dept. on how long you're out of the house for?

My quote from 4 umbrellas was based on an estimate, incorporating these unreceipted expenses. Can anyone shed light in this confusing situation? Some umbrellas say they can process unreceipted, some say they can't...
        No do it. No receipt, no claim. Simple, unless you want to risk attracting the wrath of Gordo.

Comment

I work through a company called AMS contractors...www.ams-contractors.co.uk and they provide me with an allowance without receipts. Basically its 9.50 per day, but if you work over 10 hours(incl. travel) away from home, that then jumps to something like 27.50 per day. There is a whole load of other expenses I claim for too....basically everything I can every month. More details here: http://www.ams-contractors.co.uk/web...xp_FAQ_Web.htm

If they can provide this, then your umbrella should be able to aswell, after all all we all follow the same rules right.

AMS, are pretty good and are on the ball with stuff like tax...I am calling them all the time and they seem not to mind....but there again, I do send them a hamper at xmas, so its not a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by weboo
            they provide me with an allowance without receipts. Basically its 9.50 per day, but if you work over 10 hours(incl. travel) away from home, that then jumps to something like 27.50 per day. There is a whole load of other expenses I claim for too....basically everything I can every month.
            You just don't get it do you.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I work through a company called AMS contractors...www.ams-contractors.co.uk and they provide me with an allowance without receipts. Basically its 9.50 per day, but if you work over 10 hours(incl. travel) away from home, that then jumps to something like 27.50 per day. There is a whole load of other expenses I claim for too....basically everything I can every month. More details here: http://www.ams-contractors.co.uk/web...xp_FAQ_Web.htm

If they can provide this, then your umbrella should be able to aswell, after all all we all follow the same rules right.

AMS, are pretty good and are on the ball with stuff like tax...I am calling them all the time and they seem not to mind....but there again, I do send them a hamper at xmas, so its not a surprise.
              It just means that they will pay you your money tax free without needing to see the receipts. If you get investigated, the taxman will want to see the receipts. The exception to this is the Personal Incidental Expenses (PIE) of £5 if you stay away from home overnight.

Comment

You do realise though that when the tax man comes calling it is *you* they will be demanding reciepts from to justify your expenses, not the brolly company.

If you can't prove they were legitimately incurred and paid for then you will be in serious trouble. Going to jail type trouble.

Repeat the Mantra - No Reciept, No Expense Claim; No Reciept, No Expense Claim.

Edit : From AMS's own site and guide to expenses, and I quote :

Receipts

Receipts are not required for:

§ Mileage claims

§ Subsistence Allowance claims

§ Use of Home as Office claims and

§ Personal Incidental Expenses claims

Receipts are required to support all other expense claims made by you.

PIE - Personal Incidental Expenses

Personal Incidental Expenses are to cover the extra costs that may occur when you are away from home overnight. They are for items that are not necessarily a business expense (e.g. toothpaste, headache tablets, telephone calls to your family and newspapers etc). These can also be claimed if staying in your own caravan on a site.

PIE when staying away from home in the UK. £5 per night

PIE when staying away from home abroad. £10 per night

Last edited by DaveB; 18 April 2006, 10:53.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Pie

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
                  It just means that they will pay you your money tax free without needing to see the receipts. If you get investigated, the taxman will want to see the receipts. The exception to this is the Personal Incidental Expenses (PIE) of £5 if you stay away from home overnight.
                  You can also claim £25 unreceipted for staying with friends etc. However you do need to be able to show it is reasonable and have some sort of evidence to keep the inspector happy. I didn't have a problem with this in an investigation but could show evidence of staying and meal expenditure etc. Ultimately it's in the gift of the inspector.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM30073.htm

Comment

I work through a company called AMS contractors

NO No No No No... as malvolio says elsewhere you work for ams contractors not through them. Check your contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X