• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC transfer, site visit prior to contract start...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC transfer, site visit prior to contract start...

After not renewing previous SC role, I'm starting another SC role in a few weeks, nice break in between, just had one week in Spain, too bloody hot, and another 10 days off next...

ClientCo wants me to go to site (not the main site where I will be working) early next week and present my docs for the BC/SC transfer stuff, prior to starting proper, which is a fair trip and is to be gratis. Whilst I don't mind, LPG car an' all, should I push for a day at contract rate or something? I don't really want to, but at the same time I don't want to seem to be a push over......

Originally posted by stek View Post
    After not renewing previous SC role, I'm starting another SC role in a few weeks, nice break in between, just had one week in Spain, too bloody hot, and another 10 days off next...

ClientCo wants me to go to site (not the main site where I will be working) early next week and present my docs for the BC/SC transfer stuff, prior to starting proper, which is a fair trip and is to be gratis. Whilst I don't mind, LPG car an' all, should I push for a day at contract rate or something? I don't really want to, but at the same time I don't want to seem to be a push over......
    Can't you scan and email copies prior to the start date and bring along the originals on your first day? I've done that in the past for cleared roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
      Can't you scan and email copies prior to the start date and bring along the originals on your first day? I've done that in the past for cleared roles.
      So have I oddly enough, but that was when ClientCo Office was physically near to ConsultCo Office, in this case they are 200-odd miles apart...

I do remember the Security good had to physically view the docs, so given the circa I guess I've no choice...

Hopefully role is worth it, sounds a good one so I won't scupper the gig for a few quid's Autogas

Comment

Pretty black and white this one to me sorry. The distance you have to travel is non of the clients concern. His interest starts the minute you walk through their gate. If you have accepted a role that is 200 miles away it is your issue. It is a real pain but it has to be done for SC so you accept that responsibility.

You can put it through the business as mileage so get a bit back there but no way is it for the client to pay you. If they end up forking out for guys to travel they are going to start picking local people for less hassle which doesn't help us at all. It does happen.

I went for an interview all the way down to Maidstone 2 years ago, went well, got a call from the agent asking about my living arrangements during the term of the gig. Told him that was no ones business but mine. I will be at the door on time just as I did for the interview and as I was away from home probably do a bit more in the evening rather than dash back to a B&B or summat. Agent admitted client did want me but only if I was moving to Maidstone. If I was just staying over they said no, they had been bitten by contractors wanting to WFH, change their times and just struggle to get in due to long distances. I said I won't relocate and lost the gig.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Pretty black and white this one to me sorry. The distance you have to travel is non of the clients concern. His interest starts the minute you walk through their gate. If you have accepted a role that is 200 miles away it is your issue. It is a real pain but it has to be done for SC so you accept that responsibility.

You can put it through the business as mileage so get a bit back there but no way is it for the client to pay you. If they end up forking out for guys to travel they are going to start picking local people for less hassle which doesn't help us at all. It does happen.

I went for an interview all the way down to Maidstone 2 years ago, went well, got a call from the agent asking about my living arrangements during the term of the gig. Told him that was no ones business but mine. I will be at the door on time just as I did for the interview and as I was away from home probably do a bit more in the evening rather than dash back to a B&B or summat. Agent admitted client did want me but only if I was moving to Maidstone. If I was just staying over they said no, they had been bitten by contractors wanting to WFH, change their times and just struggle to get in due to long distances. I said I won't relocate and lost the gig.
          Perhaps I wasn't clear, I have accepted this role 100 miles away (North) and subsequently have been asked to present my docs 200 miles South, nearly two weeks prior to start date on the contract, to 'speed clearance through', so I am being asked to travel in my own time to a location not specified in the contract! Which like I said I don't mind that much just it does feel a bit like a liberty!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Perhaps I wasn't clear, I have accepted this role 100 miles away (North) and subsequently have been asked to present my docs 200 miles South, nearly two weeks prior to start date on the contract, to 'speed clearance through', so I am being asked to travel in my own time to a location not specified in the contract! Which like I said I don't mind that much just it does feel a bit like a liberty!
            Personally, I'd just claim the mileage from my LtdCo and not bill ClientCo.

I see where you're coming from as it's a fair way out of your way but for the sake of a few quid I'd rather not potentially give the impression to ClientCo that I'm a bit of a mercenary who'd bill for everything.... which I am

But until I see how the land lies as it were at each client I'd take the hit myself.

Comment

Working...
            X