• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone done ISEB Business Analysis Essentials Course?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone done ISEB Business Analysis Essentials Course?

Just wondering if anyone has done this course and if it made a difference to their career?? Is it enough to equip you to be a Business Analyst?

As in most other skills, the most important factor is experience, qualifications are a good plus, but experience is the key, especially for contractors who are contracted as experts.
    For permie, then its different, the qualification will show that you are committed and like to get your career into a specific direction, also they are able to employee an employee and invest in training them.

What’s your background? If techie, you can first apply for technical/systems/data analysis roles, then gradually move to the business analysis side.

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
      As in most other skills, the most important factor is experience, qualifications are a good plus, but experience is the key, especially for contractors who are contracted as experts.
      For permie, then its different, the qualification will show that you are committed and like to get your career into a specific direction, also they are able to employee an employee and invest in training them.

What’s your background? If techie, you can first apply for technical/systems/data analysis roles, then gradually move to the business analysis side.
      WZS
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post

Thanks - I'm a non- techie....

Comment

It's a stepping stone to the ISEB BA Diploma. It's not enough on its own to turn you into a BA.

If you're a PM wanting to know more about Business Analysis I'd probably just buy the book and maybe go to a few BA events at the BCS for free (if you're a member).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes, its useful as cojak stated as a stepping stone to the full diploma but remember attending a course wont make you a BA.

It will definitely help give you a start in what you need to look at in more depth to learning what skills a BA uses.

Ive seen lots of recruiters asking for ISEB Business Analysis diplomas. I know the diploma it is used as a career development incentive for employees working for corporates so lots of BAs do the courses.

Personally I think its worth doing (Ive done it) but you will still need to read around the subject and possibly take the other modules to get the diploma and make it worthwhile, BA Essentials by itself is a bit general.

For the record have a look at the IIBA website and see if you can get hold of the IIBA Body of Knowledge...this pretty much has everything you would ever need to know in relation to BA skills. There are a couple of good books worth reading by Kathleen B. Hass which you can find on Amazon which cover quite a lot too.

I know the BCS also have a BA book which was a recommended text when I did my diploma a few years ago, link ->>

Business Analysis: Amazon.co.uk: James Cadle, Malcolm Eva, Keith Hindle, Debra Paul, Craig Rollaston, Dot Tudor, Donald Yeates: Books

Nothing beats a bit of practical experience, youre not a BA until youve seen the whites of the end users eyes in a process workshop as the explain the ins and outs of the financial reconciliation system as you try and draw a uml diagram!

Comment

I've seen no recruiter asking for the diploma, certainly not for contract work.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

On its own I don't think that it is enough to equip you to be a Business Analyst, although it will help to stop you from being a rubbish Business Analyst.

A wide range of people end up taking that particular course - a friend of mine took it (in a previous format) when he was a graduate management trainee.

I have the diploma and it never helped me secure any work although I haven't been looking in the UK for four years now so I might be out of date. I would say that having the diploma equipped me to do a better job of the work I was given so I will still say that I think it is worth doing, but only if that is already your line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I've seen no recruiter asking for the diploma, certainly not for contract work.
                  Ive seen it about 50% of the time for Senior BA Permanent roles. I suspect you are right for contract roles.

*edit: not as a must have though, more nice to have.....

Comment

Working...
                  X