• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Correlation between current rate and previous low permie salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correlation between current rate and previous low permie salary?

Hi all,

I got the rate that I wanted for an upcoming contract, and just filling out the paperwork the agency requires to work at clientco...

They insist on seeing 2 years worth of employment details - fair enough, they did this last time as well. They're requesting copies of my previous contracts, which I have.

My question is... will the agency make a fuss over the fact that my requested daily rate is leagues away from the pittance I've been working for as a permie?

Because my last contract went kaput during the recession, I was forced to get permie employment as soon as it ended. There wasn't a lot on offer, so I took something about 10K under what I'd usually go for as a permie salary.

I moved on from that role a year later to one paying somewhat better - but both pale in comparison with the rate I've been given.

Thanks!

Originally posted by matei View Post
    Hi all,

I got the rate that I wanted for an upcoming contract, and just filling out the paperwork the agency requires to work at clientco...

They insist on seeing 2 years worth of employment details - fair enough, they did this last time as well. They're requesting copies of my previous contracts, which I have.

My question is... will the agency make a fuss over the fact that my requested daily rate is leagues away from the pittance I've been working for as a permie?

Because my last contract went kaput during the recession, I was forced to get permie employment as soon as it ended. There wasn't a lot on offer, so I took something about 10K under what I'd usually go for as a permie salary.

I moved on from that role a year later to one paying somewhat better - but both pale in comparison with the rate I've been given.

Thanks!
    Requesting copies of previous contracts?

I might be sheltered and nive, but I've never heard or encountered that one - and it would ring alarm bells for me.

My private company business dealings are private....

Comment

They're trying to establish what I've been up to for the past two years. Could be offer letters, letter from employer, contract etc.

I went through the same thing with this client last time, they're very security concious.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks!
        Tell them to get to fu<k. Seriously.

Information about where you have worked, maybe, at a push, once you have the gig but seeing actual copies of contracts and information on previous rates are ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

Comment

Hi all,

..Thanks!
          Doubt it - but as with the others here, I'd be more worried about giving 'em sight of previous contracts.

BTW - do you mean requested or agreed rate - if you are doing all this prior to signing, I smell a rat. Sign first, conditional on OK security checks.

Comment

It is the agreed rate.

It is a financial institution, so they're pretty strict.

Comment

It is the agreed rate.

It is a financial institution, so they're pretty strict.
              Still no reason to show them previous contracts. Who is asking for theis the Clint co or the agent?

Comment

The agent... supposedly on behalf of the client. They need to see what I've been up to professionally for the past two years. Any breaks need to be explained in full, documented by receipts or other proof that I wasn't in the slammer.

They'll accept a confirmation letter or a letter of offer, just to prove that I was there - however I have neither. Just the contracts.

It seems that they will accept references, however I'd rather not go that route. I don't have anything to hide - but I don't fully trust my current manager. She can be rather vindictive, and has badmouthed previous employees for no reason. Kiddie stuff.

Comment

The agent... supposedly on behalf of the client. They need to see what I've been up to professionally for the past two years. Any breaks need to be explained in full, documented by receipts or other proof that I wasn't in the slammer.

They'll accept a confirmation letter or a letter of offer, just to prove that I was there - however I have neither. Just the contracts.

It seems that they will accept references, however I'd rather not go that route. I don't have anything to hide - but I don't fully trust my current manager. She can be rather vindictive, and has badmouthed previous employees for no reason. Kiddie stuff.
                  Get references from your previous contracts to prove you were contracted. I personally would not share my contracts with a 3rd party and especially an agent.

Just as a point, you are not an employee, so stop thinking like one, you are a business man.

Comment

Give them client co names, dates and details of previous pimps, who should verify.

Do not give a pimp a previous contract, unless it was with said pimp.

I've just been through the compliance system for an Aussie bank, mostly based in jockland, and we had plenty of issues around stuff like this. When i talked to the hiring manager, he told me that they needed a tick in the box to say they had checked that your claimed work history could be verified. That can be done without handing out contracts.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X