• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I get exp ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get exp ?

Hello everybody,

I am working in software development and R&D for 1.5y as a permie.
    I a good knowledge in C++, multithreading, real time, TCP/IP etc.
    I would like to become a contractor in the finance industry, but as you can see I do not have any experience in this field

Is it better to find a permie job in this field and then become a contractor or directly try to find a contract ?

Thanks for your answers,

Taz.

Originally posted by Tazadar View Post
    Hello everybody,

I am working in software development and R&D for 1.5y as a permie.
    I a good knowledge in C++, multithreading, real time, TCP/IP etc.
    I would like to become a contractor in the finance industry, but as you can see I do not have any experience in this field

Is it better to find a permie job in this field and then become a contractor or directly try to find a contract ?

Thanks for your answers,

Taz.

How old are you? is 1.5 years your only working experience? I would say unless you are pretty niece you are going to struggle a bit. Have a look at what is around that you can do.. not what you could do with training or what you are capable of in time. You have to deliver to the client from day one. Gauge the market and see if there are any skills you are missing or can add to be more contractable and see if you can get that on your CV where you are. I expect you are on a 4 week notice which is very difficult to dovetail to a contract. More ofthen than not you will have ot leave first but keep an eye out just in case and accrue your hols. You never know you might bag one fairly soon that will wait.

Don't get your hopes up too quickly due to your experience (and I am guessing age) but keep an eye on the market and get yourself ready..
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh forgot the finance bit. I presume you want finance due to the big dollars you see. As a contractor you work where you can. Finance experience can be useful and once you get it you are preferred but it doesn't not gaurantee your next contract will be with them, you might do pharma or a government project. We work where we can and you cannot afford to focus purely on one verticle and miss out on other contracts.

Comment

Thanks for the answers

Thank you for these advices northernladuk !

You are right I am young, I am 24.

So if I understand you very well, you suggest that I check contracts, try to improve the skill by myself or by taking another job.
        Once I feel confortable, try to find a first contract and then leave my permanent job.

Thanks again,

Taz

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          unless you are pretty niece
          Dirty old uncle spotted.

Anyway I work in a finance role without prior experience, but got my current role due to my particular skillset which has a niche element to it; I came out of a 4wk notice permie role, but quit before I got my contract role lined up. Don't obsess about finance, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
            Dirty old uncle spotted.
            Dam found out. Time to emigrate. Have some +ve rep for that as it made I laugh.

So if I understand you very well, you suggest that I check contracts, try to improve the skill by myself or by taking another job.
            Once I feel confortable, try to find a first contract and then leave my permanent job.
            That's about it yes. You could always find that one lucky contract that will take you on with the experience you have and will wait the 4 weeks but taking odd contracts will leave you at risk of a lot of bench time. If you have solid skills you should get them end to end a lot quicker. I am sure there are people in your position who have made the jump and struggled through but just as many jumped and failed.

You are only 24, a bit more experience with different companies and some training for a year or two will not kill you and then you can accelerate your earnings when you are prepared and can make the jump.

If you you are hell bent on going contracting you could be pretty mercenary. If your current role is not going to give you the skills you need or has no prospects of change then go, regardless of you liking your colleagues, your job etc. Look after number one. Look for a new role offering better skills/training or something like that. Think like a contractor while you are in permie land.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you you are hell bent on going contracting you could be pretty mercenary. If your current role is not going to give you the skills you need or has no prospects of change then go, regardless of you liking your colleagues, your job etc. Look after number one. Look for a new role offering better skills/training or something like that. Think like a contractor while you are in permie land.
              I think to start thinking like a contractor while still permie is great advice for any prospective contractor, thats currently where I am. It is my intention to go contracting so I am using my permie company to get myself into the best position possible to make the jump.

The way I see it on day 1 of running your new business you have one product to sell, which is yourself, you might as well get that product to be the best it can be before you start.

Good luck to the OP, focus on where you want to be an you'll get there

Comment

Working...
              X