• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long until I can go direct after an interview via agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long until I can go direct after an interview via agency?

Hi there.

If I've been to an interview via an agency but don't accept (rate was suddenly much lower than agreed). How long do I legally need to wait before approaching the company directly?

Thanks

Kludo.

You've not signed a contract with the agency yet, so you can approach the client straight away.

The problem is though, that the agency probably have something in a contract between them and the client, stating that the client cannot "go direct" with an interviewees.

Maybe have a word with the client direct? At a guess though, the client has already decided to go via an agency and might not be interested in going direct with you.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Write to the client saying how much you wanted to take the contract. That you'd agreed on £500 an hour, then the agent turned round and said the rate was now 5p a day, which was not economically sustainable to you. So you had to turn it down.

You close with some words about how wonderful it would have been, and that you hope another opportunity arises with them in the future.

That way, if the agency has been mucking you about, they'll get a slap, and you might even get the contract. (It has happened). If not, at least you've been polite to the client.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Kludo View Post
        If I've been to an interview via an agency but don't accept (rate was suddenly much lower than agreed). How long do I legally need to wait before approaching the company directly?
        If you didn't opt out of the agency regulations then it's 14 weeks before you could cut the agency out of the deal. If you did opt out then you are stuffed. It's probably irrelevant because most clients won't engage you directly anyway and the agency are pretty much there to stay.

However, some clients are happy to negotiate a rate with you directly and then negotiate with the agency to keep their margin realistic. However, it may also be that the client refuses to negotiate with you directly and insists that you negotiate with the agency but you won't know till you try.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X